Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A West Asheville Landmark

The garden of Christopher Mello is fast becoming a West Asheville landmark. These older, close to down town neighborhoods are seeing a resurgence of new life and new activity. It is fitting that a man born and raised in these very neighborhoods on the west side of the French Broad River that splits Asheville in half is part of this new life.




















Christopher is a passionate and professional gardener who has added artist to his repertoire. Many a gardener has an artists eye.



















Shovelhenge marks the spot.




















The dump truck arena might lure the playful inside.




















A decade long determination in natural plant selection is worthy of close inspection and taking a few notes.





















Behold the Blue Pearl poppies.





















Reds and blues dominate the garden in foliage and bloom. In certain light this color combo becomes a force of its own. How many gardeners can pull off such a ruthless and determined accomplishment?




















I have seen Christopher's garden many times over the last several years. The one thing I know for sure about it is that it is constantly changing.




















This is truly gardening as delightful play and experimentation with a sculptor's eye for form, texture and color.




















The next time I visit Christopher's garden I am sure to see something new.

7 comments:

beckie said...

Christopher, you truly captured the soul of this garden. :) What a treat for us to see it. Thanks again for all you and the committee did to put on a great fling!

Lola said...

Very pretty. No doubt it took lots of time. Thanks for sharing.

Rose said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, Christopher. I missed the title of this spot--love the name "Shovelhenge":) His garden was so much fun and so creative. I'll be gushing about Asheville for weeks, but in addition to all the ideas I wrote down and the friends I met, one very important thing I have taken away from Asheville, exemplified by Christopher Mello's garden, is that a garden is whatever you want it to be. Thank you again for all your hard work in organizing this incredible experience.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am always amazed at how people follow their creative whimsy. It is such fun to find gardens that inspire one to follow that dream. The blue poppies will be a tremendous hit no doubt.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I enjoyed Christopher's garden a lot, his tree & shrub choices were right up my alley. It was so great at our visit, I can't imagine changes!

chuck b. said...

I love this groovy garden. Great details.

Unknown said...

I'm in love with the Blue Pearl poppies and his Tonka trucks! Christopher, you out did yourself with the fabulous garden tours you arranged for us. THANK YOU!