Saturday, September 28, 2013

As The Forest Turns

The Great Lawn got its final mowing of the season I hope. The grass covered paths were whacked one more time. Company is coming, brother #2, to stay for a few days. I thought I'd clear the way in case they got the urge to wander into the garden.





















No doubt it is filling in with cool season, high altitude adapted grasses. I didn't seed it. I just whacked down the tangled mess that was there and a lawn was born. Cool season grasses means the Great Lawn could stay green through the winter. A spot of green in the barren time would be nice. It could also mean this won't be the last mowing of the season. After a certain point I won't care though. It can wait until spring.





















The forest is still pretty green. Only the Virginia Creeper and Dogwoods have really started to turn. The tall flower meadow is in its final state of blue.

My deer hunter came to visit. That is a sure sign of fall. He has been hunting up here for decades. He taught all three of his boys to hunt up here.

It takes him two hours to ask if he can park down my driveway. His normal access route to his hunting grounds, the adjacent property, was leased out by the daughter who inherited the land. The lessee is an armed, ornery SOB hated over several counties. My deer hunter wants some cover for parking his truck away from the SOB's prying eyes. Yes you may park down my driveway.

I learn a lot about the locals in two hours of talking story. I learn a lot about the past of this mountain top in two hours of talking story.





















A cozy cabin high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top is about to be in the middle of the hunting grounds for another season. I nod and acknowledge. I slow down and look. Sometimes I wave. I make my presence known. I'm the laid back dude on the mountain top. Switzerland for all concerned. The cross fire between territorial local hunters is almost more dangerous than them shooting at turkeys, deer and bears.





















And next comes the hounds.

7 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I love that last picture. The cozy cabin is looking good against the backdrop of the garden.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes it was looking fetching while I was down there mowing the Great Lawn. That slope has fully healed from the time of construction.

Lola said...

I love it all. I do get homesick for our old place. I must have come from mtn stock somewhere down the line. lol

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your brother will be glad you mowed your lawn. It looks so inviting whacked down amongst the blue. Watch out for those hunters.

Les said...

If I was in your situation I would have a hard time deciding as whether someone could hunt on my property or not. My family hunts and many of our meals growing up were something that was shot or caught, but the hunting gene skipped me. I always liked tromping through the woods with my dad when he hunted, but I could never pull the trigger, but I don't mind if someone else enjoys it. Until we bring predators back and strike a better balance, hunters are needed to control deer. If only they were all responsible dog owners as well.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola it is certainly understandable that a person could miss these mountains.

Lisa it seems my baby brother's gardening gene has kicked in in the last few years. They might want to walk the grounds.

Les my deer hunter doesn't hunt on our property. He hikes back into the woods a couple miles and just needs to cross our land and a place to park and haul his catch out to. It is our scenic byway frontage that makes our property useful. Now the dog hunters are another story. If the hounds tree something here, which has happened numerous times, they shoot period.

Sallysmom said...

It sounds like you need to wear an orange vest. Do they make kitty size ones as well?