Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Summer Hydrangea

The native Hydrangea arborescens are in full bloom. They have spread themselves to other parts of the garden from the slope below the scenic byway and I have let them be for now. At a certain point there will be enough and the rest will have to be edited out.





















This is a fertile hydrangea, very fertile. Sterile hydrangea have the big showy flower petals.





















Every so often I will find one that tries to be a lace cap. Some are better at it than others. This native hydrangea is the parent of the ubiquitous 'Annabelle' hydrangea which was found as a cultivar of the common species in the wild. From there 'Annabelle' took off in the landscape trade.



















I was busy being lazy on the solstice contemplating the wheel of space and time. This post did not go out as scheduled.





















I was looking at 'Black Gamecock' Louisiana iris and busy transplanting the Black iris to new locations to make more of it. A couple of sacks of hosta were added to my 150 foot long arc of them through the shade garden.





















My new Meadowsweet, a Filipendula cultivar is blooming. I like that combo of open and unopened tiny pink balls. The flower head could be bigger and fuller though. I don't think it bloomed last year. Something happened to it, but I don't remember what.





















The mighty wheel keeps turning. I'm still hanging on for the ride.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The queen is blooming in my garden too. I have often wanted a start of this hydrangea. I see it growing in the most unhospitable places.

Shelley said...

Good afternoon! I was wondering if you would be interested in a guest blogging opportunity with Gardening Know How? If so, please e-mail me for more details at:
shelley AT gardeningknowhow DOT com

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Lola said...

That ride sure is a pretty one. It all looks so good. I get homesick.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa the native hydrangea here grows all along the roadside cuts were it get whacked and mowed regular. It has to be pretty salt tolerant as well.

It is indeed a beautiful ride Lola.