Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Well Hail

Might as well be considered snow in June. It is frozen and very cold, possibly even super chilled. Who knows what layer of the stratosphere it fell from.





















You could call it really fat sleet.





















A quarter inch of hail fell in ten minutes along with an inch and three quarters of rain to wash it all down.





















It piled up in drifts. Some were so big it seems, the traffic was stopping on the byway to gawk. Then after supper I saw the snow plow drive by. Yes the snow plow. I know what it looks like.





















The wild cultivated gardens were thrashed mercilessly. So much for bold foliage. It will remain holey for the rest of the season.





















Culvert Falls was roaring and for the first time the water flowed all the way down the hill to the center of Creation before vanishing into the ground.





















Well Hail!!





















These were squashes and cucumbers.





















This was the roadside vegetable garden Tossed salad anyone?

Things were going so well and looking so perky. Now there will be a period of adjustment. Good thing I have faith in the power of the Lush.





















Earlier today on the other side of the universe, where please, have mercy, I hope it did not hail, the flagstone gravel path in the Fountain Garden was finished.





















It rained almost the entire time I was washing six bags of sand into the gravel to give it more cohesion and stability. Not fun. I was hosing in the sand during the sprinkles between down pours.





















The Lady of the House gave it a two thumbs up.





















It does look sharp. Now the durability test can begin.





















Here's a gratuitous mermaid shot. I hear tell from a very reliable source that people have been gravitating to Twin Falls Pond and not wanting to leave. That is high praise indeed if it is winning out over the world class view from the front veranda.

Amazing what a few fancy thirty five dollar fish can do.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I would faint if we got this hail. Mercy. I did see on tv that TN got some of this hail too. I hope all lives through this. The plants will think it is fall again. It has been unusually cool here too. Tomorrow the heat is to return so I don't have to worry about hail...I hope.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I am doing my best to remain calm. I might still be in shock. In the first quick survey, the garden looks like it got mugged and beaten. It is tattered, torn, bent and broken. Some things much worse than others. I feel sure most of it will grow it off.

LostRoses said...

I feel your pain. I planted twice this spring thanks to a Memorial Day hailstorm that wiped out all my plants. Yes, stay calm. And hope it didn't hit the other side of the mountain which is looking amazing. Great job!

beverly said...

That's gratifying to hear about Twin Falls after all the work you did.
And, weird weather is something I guess we will have to get used to. Although Henry Mitchell the Earthman, used to say this always has happened and will happen to gardeners.

Swimray said...

We had this bright light in the sky today. I think we called it a sun way back. Here we have seen nothing by drizzle, mist and clouds all week. Thankfully no hail. Keep us informed.
Ray