Thursday, June 18, 2015

Eight Years Later

I arrived on this mountain to stay, high on the low spot, exactly eight years ago yesterday. On my first full day here, a cozy cabin to live in was just a plan on paper. This is what I arrived to.

A lot has changed. My intent to remain here for the duration and into the beyond is still the same.





















My father and I built a cozy little house for me to live in. I moved a lot of rocks during lulls in construction. My first hastily erected wall that some said would fall down is still standing seven years later.

Seven years later the basement patio is still an unfinished project. One day. The need to make a living has gotten in the way.





















It is quite cozy inside. The unexpected interior has been known to cause jaws to drop.





















Every thing I need fits into 340 square feet according to my realtor friend who says the loft doesn't count. I count that and the front porch too. That makes 555 square feet. It is cozy and just the right size.





















There are orchids that live in the house with me.





















Four years of concentrated effort on house building has been followed by four years of dedicated effort at garden making.





















The results are starting to show. The coherence of a wild cultivated garden is emerging from the Lush.





















Where once there was a tangled mess of vines and brambles, form, texture, paths, walls and multitudes of blooming things are now at home. Some I planted. Many more arrived when I gave them room.





















The very nature of the Tall Flower Meadow has changed.





















In the shade another kind of wild garden grows.





















Native woodland plants are being added on a regular basis.



























The cabin is cozy. The garden is spacious. About one acre of my two and a half is actively tended. With no boundaries, I assist tending two more acres next door.





















Up by the roadside in the only level, full sun place on the mountain





















Is the roadside vegetable garden





















With its wild flower surround.





















Yes there is a vegetable garden in there. The people passing by may only see my head and Uncle Ernie rising above the blooming wild things. They often stop when they see me, a man in the wilderness gathering tales from the scenic byway.





















Eight years later you can stroll comfortably through the sunny utility meadow. There is much more to see now with the choking layer of clematis vines almost completely removed. I keep editing. Bulbarella keeps planting.





















With two cats in the yard, when they are not passed out on the couch, it's a fine house and very, very fine gardens, eight years later.


11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your kingdom built is something to be proud of. You have come a long way in 8 short years.

LostRoses said...

What a transformation in 8 years! I seem to emember reading your blog from Hawaii (?) and suddenly you were building in North Carolina. It's been fun lurking while you were working!

Sallysmom said...

Love love love that last pic. I found your blog pretty much when you started your US one. Have watched the house being built and the garden created.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa it is hard to believe it has been eight years. By 20 I might have this place dialed in.

LostRoses, yes I was on Maui when I first started blogging. My efforts must be showing. I got a compliment in the grocery store the other day.

Sallysmom it has been a fun journey for the most part.

beverly said...

Congratulations. Hard to believe. I think I came upon you just before you moved and wondered how you would deal with the climate/garden/culture shock. All has gone well. I still smile at the phrase 'tragic underemployment'.

Christopher C. NC said...

Oh Bev. I have such fond memories of that unfortunate period of my tragic underemployment.

Jane said...

You have done a wonderful job so far. I really enjoy following your journey (five years now) and your love of plants. I've learned so much! Thank you.

Les said...

I've enjoyed watching the cozy cabin come to be, and equally so the lush garden by a scenic byway.

Lola said...

A lot of hard work on your part.I have followed you from the beginning. It doesn't seem like it's been that long.

Donna said...

I'm sure enjoying your wonderful hilltop gardens and cabin in the woods. Especially as I look out my window to view a postage stamp size brown yard, as here in CA we aren't able to water much. I love your blog, keep it up. So many seeds, so little time! Calicomom

C. C. said...

Lovely. This is what I want, some day. My dad and his ancestors are mountain people from the mid 18th century. The mountains call to me. You have just enough land and just enough house for privacy and peace. Incredible that you've done all that in just 8 years.