Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Halt

My new brilliant orange road sign has had a lot of orange companions the last two days. The DOT man who makes you stop and wait in line for your turn to go on a temporary one lane road has been parked across the byway in my neighbors driveway. Traffic comes to a stop at the roadside vegetable garden.





















There is ample time to gawk at the rickety split rail fence and the growing cacophony of wild flowers surrounding a big patch of fine produce when they come to a halt and are forced to wait.



























The daylilies on the hill behind the vegetable garden are in full bloom. They provide the biggest splash of color at the moment. That will change soon enough as more and more of the wild things start to bloom.





















In the slow curving pass through the construction zone, they can peer down into the sunny utility meadow which is starting to pop with color.





















The travelers can peer in. I wander in to the meadow for an up close look.





















I bet you can see Lucifer all the way up there from the scenic byway.





















There is a good crop of Beebalm this year.





















This is the back side of the hill below the roadside vegetable garden. A little less than half of it is covered with Gooseneck Loosestrife. It is a big hill. That is a lot of loosestrife. You have been warned.





















We have the room for that kind of invasion. We have so much room I leave a big chunk of what could be more fine produce in wild flowers.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have a swathe of Gooseneck Loosestrife that I have to pull like a woman possessed to keep it in the bounds that my garden requires. It is such a pretty plant this time of year. I put up with it.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa the loosestrife does seem to have shallow and easily pullable rhizomes, not that I have ever made an effort to actually weed it out.

Lola said...

Love #5 & 6. Sure wish I could get a good start of the short day lilies.

Christopher C. NC said...

Is there some new kind of short or dwarf day lily Lola?

Lola said...

Don't know Christopher. Some I think are shorter.