Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Determined Effort

To Make Me Suffer.

The low this morning was zero. Around about the time the high of 10 for the day was reaching its peak, the furnace started sounding strange. It was making a noise like it wanted to go, but there was no fire and no blower action to move any hot air through the ducts. What is wrong with you furnace? Are you dying? Is some malevolent force determined to make me spend a night in an ice box? Help!!!

The view hasn't changed a bit in twenty four hours. The snow is still coming down. The tracks left by the gas truck on the driveway yesterday are buried in deeper new snow. All kind of sastrugi is developing in the world outside. Can I get a furnace repair man up here today?



The furnace man said to check the exhaust line and the water exhaust line to make sure they were not blocked by snow. He could not get out of his place and couldn't come until tomorrow afternoon or even Friday at the earliest. The symptoms I was describing does sound a little like the blower motor might be out. Check those things out. Let the furnace cool off. Try it again and call him back.

I'm gonna freeze. I'm gonna freeze. Oh Lord hepp me. It is supposed to be even colder in the morning. I'm gonna freeze.

There is a big giant icicle at the end of the water exhaust line that has the thing plugged up. Maybe this is the problem. The line pops right off. It isn't glued at the elbow and leaves just the stub coming out of the wall. There is a little ice in the stub, but it looks clear. Let's go try the furnace again.

A struggling half hearted attempt lights the burners, then it sputters out making the same strange new noises. I'm gonna freeze. Oh Lord hepp me. I'm gonna freeze.



Well, let me chip away that little bit of ice in the water drain line stub coming out of the wall. Oh, it's froze solid in there. One long metal rod and a little pounding clears the line. It is frozen all the way inside the basement to the furnace. Oh look at all the water pouring out of the bottom of the furnace when I disconnect the line there. Is this the problem?

The thermostat gets turned back on and the furnace powers back to life sounding like its normal self again.

Thank you Lord. I's been saved once more!

13 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You poor baby. You have been having such a difficult time. I do hope you stay safe and warm.

Anonymous said...

Goodness, that house is determined to make you pay! You'll be happier when your cozy cabin is done and heated! Glad you are beating the elements so far!

bev

Unknown said...

I'm glad you were saved! But I must tell you that in times of emergency lack of heat, cats make the most admirable foot and leg and arm and headwarmers.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got the problem solved. But, Lord you are so funny. lol lol
Seriously, you should have somewhere as a backup that you could go to in times of great need.
Please do stay warm, as we worry about you. Spots too.

Anonymous said...

It looks bitterly cold, but so beautiful. And once it's all together, it'll be SOOOO worth it.

Anonymous said...

Would you like Brokenbeat's phone number? Or go to the hop and they will contact them. Maybe some wood burning contraption too. You are seriously worrying me. It is something everyday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher! You are too far out there to not have some sort of back up plan. Would a generator work? ~ even if only to run heat and a light?

Christopher C. NC said...

This is a learning experience. I will need to make sure everything at my place is thoroughly insulated. The pipes froze again this morning.

Between the fact that this house is usually closed for the winter and fifteen years of mice living in the walls, no one has been here to truly winter test it and fix any problems.

If I ever get desperate I can walk to my neighbors house, the retired entomologist. He has an automatic generator that is tied into his propane line for when the power goes out and as long as he doesn't run out of propane.

I will need to consider what backups I may want for the cabin. There isn't a wood burning stove in it and I don't want one in it. I have seen a small portable wood burning house that puts the heat into a house's air ducts at a neighbors and in magazines. It sits well away from the house. That is an idea. Got plenty wood. A small generator is an option too.

My cabin's insulation will be much better to start. It's code now and there won't be no stinking mice in my house.

Now imagine for a minute what it was like up here a hundred years ago. I'm a wimp by comparison.

Anonymous said...

A hundred years ago they had fireplaces to cook and heat and knew all about banking a fire for the night. Probably no pipes to freeze either. Cat foot warmers? Maybe. :-)
Frances

Anonymous said...

No Christopher...YOU are not a wimp! I admire what you are doing up in those beautiful mountains. I too wonder though how they managed 100 years ago. Back then though, they didn't have to worry about the pipes freezing because they didn't have any.

All these new experiences can be captured in the continuing saga of Betsy....

chuck b. said...

You should go get that fireplace in the woods working again.

Anonymous said...

No being a wimp for you Christopher. I think you are doing marvelous building a cozy cabin in between snow, ice storms with a gooey mess for a drive. Not to mention getting use to the difference of weather from what you've been used to.
You go for it.
Failed to mention I love the pix.

lisa said...

Wow, I'm glad you didn't have to venture out into the sastrugi! :) I suppose an upshot in all this is the emergency preparedness training you're getting...perhaps more long underwear is in order. At this rate, let me suggest Gore-Tex! In all seriousness, those outdoor woodburners are okay (lots of people up here have them). But they put out a LOT of smoke that just tends to hang in the air...not good for people with breathing problems. They may have filters for them, but I've not seen any. I think a good generator would be helpful, and they even make solar ones if you have a sunny enough spot.