Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The First Day Of Summer

My little weather station has recorded a new high of 81 degrees for the season. After two weeks or more of highs in the mid to upper 70's we might as well face the truth. Spring is over. Spring has been cancelled. Summer has begun. If it freezes hard now we will be screwed.

That has made for a rather nice bulb display at Client #1's. The early daffodils are done and the late blooming Thalias have arrived. The mid season daffodils are still good and the hyacinth and tulips have begun. Tulips are blooming at the same time as anemones. It's whacked. The race to bloom is on big time.



Lots of blue hyacinths got planted last fall.



How did those red pansies get in there. They were not part of the plan



The wildflowers of the forest floor have also begun to bloom weeks early for my elevation. The Hepatica is here.



The Bloodroot is blooming though it closed up shop for the day before I came back to snap a picture.



In the sunny utility meadow Iris bucharica is in full bloom.



And of course there are daffodils.



The Forsythia next door. Fine place for it. Like somehow that will prevent me from having to deal with it. At least I dug out one clump of it from the ridge top garden last fall.



The magnolia is near done.



The Bulbapaloozathon is in full swing with early, mid and late daffodils all blooming at once.



A sampling



Hmm. Someone planted tulips.



Corydalis



Thalia






Five or so of the Celedine poppy that followed me home last year survived. It could become a pest if we are lucky.









Then there are the minor bulbs scattered throughout, as in every where.



I hope you enjoy this limited engagement spring. I suspect it will be over by the time it cools down a notch this weekend.



Maybe if I seed my sweet corn for the raccoon now it might really cool off. There is even enough time that I could grow my own tomatoes from seed. This year I might be willing to tempt fate.

3 comments:

Lola said...

Gorgeous.

Rose said...

What a beautiful show of spring bloomers, Christopher! We're in much the same situation here in Illinois, with record-breaking temps in the 80's this past week. I'm beginning to worry, though, what Asheville will be like in May? Hope it's not a 100-degree heatwave!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Great spring blooms. Here it is much the same. Our daffs and hyacinths are finished becasue it has been so hot. CRAZY.