Monday, April 2, 2012

I Was Afraid Of That

I studied it and decided the bamboo poles should not be cut shorter. The height gave the new art project a great deal of flair. Would the wind tip the whole thing over? I put a cement block in there just in case.

The wind tipped it over. One cement block was not near enough weight. Good thing the bamboo poles landed on the hill. I think they saved the Blue Pot from being smashed. We don't want to take any second chances though.

Now on to Plan B. First I thought sand. Then I thought that would get and stay wet and the bamboo poles would rot faster. Now I am thinking gravel. I think that will also give more flexibility to arrange the bamboo poles in a pleasing configuration and have them stay put. Much like glass marbles in a flower vase, except harder to jam a bamboo pole into. I think I'll put the bamboo in first.

I want to have this done by the time the sisters deliver Bulbarella to the mountain top. It will distract her from the missing daffodils.



And possibly the missing cherry tree. Cherries are notoriously short bloomed. It is at peak now and the brief mild cool down isn't coming until Friday. I don't think it will make it to the end of the week.



It sure is lovely right now.



The primroses are blooming. Maybe they will still be here on Friday. It is hard to know what to expect with this Mabril weathers.



The last of the daffodils linger. Normally I would consider April 1st the peak for daffodil blooms. Most have already faded to foliage only.



The last planted are the last to bloom. The annex is very much a north facing slope and everything here blooms a bit later. This was supposed to be the final expansion of the ridge top garden. Two years at least of plantings have been done. Then last fall Bulbarella snuck across the border and kept expanding.



The wild cultivated garden is fully awake. Peonies are up. Shrubberies are leafing out. Hosta are near full expansion. The apple tree is blooming.



I feel confident that the Dogwoods will be in full bloom when the sisters deliver Bulbarella to the mountain top.



There is enough going on up here that any disappointments over what might have been missed will be forgotten in a day or two. At least one can hope.

4 comments:

Siria said...

Wow...it's been a little windy I see! I hope the gravel works for you as I like that new art project, but I would hate to see that gorgeous pot cracked. I have trouble with my bird feeders with the high winds.

Lola said...

Wow, I never dreamed the blue pot would blow over like that. Sure hope the gravel works. Yes, always something beautiful to look at up there.

Christopher C. NC said...

The Blue Pot is very heavy so you can say I was half surprised it blew over. The gravel should work fine much like a base for an umbrella. Up here umbrellas will blow away even when closed without a heavy base to hold them.

Anonymous said...

You need to do whatever it takes to keep that pot upright.
Sallysmom