Saturday, January 4, 2014

Coming Up - Siberolina

 Monday through Wednesday is looking to be Arctic like. I think I'm ready. I have food and a faucet dripping plan. The power must stay on of course. Without power things could turn ugly fast.





















There's always a bright spot. The prognosticators have not been willing to commit to any snow fall totals. They're not even willing to call it a winter storm yet. It's just gonna get really really cold, like -8 maybe cold.





















This will be the first time in two years that I will have reached my listed climate zone. I was about ready to give my self an upgrade to zone 7. It's that human time scale thing that makes for such crazy thinking.





















I'm a zone 6. A 6a on a cold day. At times I am even pushing the limits of zone 6 plants. I get extra demerits for the extremes caused by elevation.





















3500 feet is the cut off point in the mountains. Above that things are different. The low spot high on a North Carolina mountain top is 400+ feet above that. My elevation demerits could swing me towards a zone 5b. I'm still sticking with zone 6.





















I'm as ready for Siberolina as I can get. I think winter has officially arrived.


5 comments:

Lola said...

Yes, winter has arrived. Cold here too. I wonder how long ago there was a home attached to the chimney!!!!! From the growth of the trees & knowing how slow things grow there it must have been a very long time ago. I hope the power stays on for you. Hopefully it won't get too cold for you.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola my guess is the house that went with the chimney last burned down 45 to 50 years ago. I was told it burned down twice.

Lola said...

I think fire was a big element in the homes way back then. Seems a fire had to be going all the time. I wonder if it was the same family.

beverly said...

We are all getting ready the for big freeze. I am very glad the plants have some snow cover for this unexpected (to them) cold. Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Happy Siberolina. We're "enjoying" a bit of Siber ourselves. Wow!