Friday, January 23, 2015

Close To The Cold Ground

It was a perfectly icky day. The snow maybe was a no show. It was a 34 to 40 degree rain all day long. During a brief intermission I wandered next door to check on things. That is when the wind started to gather speed. It howled for most of the afternoon.

On my journey I stopped to admire the Running Cedar. This is a native evergreen ground cover in the club moss family. I have been told it will not transplant. I may try anyway. It just may not transplant to the wrong conditions. I have plenty of the same preferred conditions. It won't hurt to have more colonies of this interesting little plant.





















In the wind and mist my well covered head was pointed down, scanning the cold wet ground for signs of emerging life. Snowdrops are the most obvious signs of life. They are up. They are hesitating to open.





















The main production patch of snowdrops from which so many others are dug and spread about remains unfazed by all the digging. They are a prolific little bulb.

The snow maybe still may be. There is a winter storm watch until noon tomorrow. It's still raining. It's still icky. The snowdrops may get buried. I really would prefer snow over a icky cold wet rain.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The moss in that last picture is pretty too. I love moss. I have only seen the club moss one time.

Les said...

Running cedar reminds me of Christmases past.

Lola said...

Cold any day. Hate rainy days but necessary.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I got all kinds of moss.

Les it certainly would make a nice decorating green.

Lola the snow finally arrived.