Sunday, January 11, 2015

Slow Walk In A Thaw

I woke to a temperature above freezing. Still, I was uninspired. The longer I sit, the harder it is to start moving again. The best I could do was a slow walk through the barren picking up sticks as I went.





















The next wave is already massed at the border. Days of cold rain are on the agenda.





















In this cold, in this barren, the first signs of life are emerging. A couple of sunny days with the notion of warm is all that is needed to set the snowdrops to bloom.





















It was above freezing, even above 40, but the slow walk was all I managed. The air may have been tolerable, but the deep cold emanated up and away from the melting snow and frozen ground. I could feel it swiping at me when I bent to pick up sticks that had to be tugged from an icy grip.

I'm not the only one who has been feeling cooped up. It has been a very long time since any kitties went on a walk through the garden with me. Miss Collar and Miss Dinah both joined me. I'm sure they were as happy as I was to stretch their legs. Button was already back in bed after his morning constitutional and couldn't be roused.





















The snow receded through the day. I returned to sitting. There is work kind work to do starting tomorrow in between the rains.





















I had thought the Deep Cold Art Project would look better against the snow, but as it receded the frozen orbs of ice got more and more colorful against the barren brown.





















In the same way, the contrasting and intense colors of the under garden are a big part of what makes it stand out in the winter barren. As it continues to develop with the addition of more evergreens, the winter color and texture of the foliage is an important component when making a choice of what to plant next.

There will be warmer days ahead and plenty of cold ones still to come. A slow walk is good enough for today. This is the only time of year when I can actually physically rest. I try my best to savor it.


2 comments:

Lola said...

Do get some rest. I saw my first snow drop bloom today. So happy about that. My strawberries are blooming. My neighbor has some already.

Christopher C. NC said...

At this time of year I can't avoid rest Lola. Nice you have snowdrops already.