Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Embracing The Barren Time

Is there another choice?

Actually I enjoy the chance to see the true lay of the land. It is also very helpful to see the baby bone structure of the garden unimpeded. I know what these evergreens are supposed to grow into. If they do, that changes everything. They should. They better. Did I plant things too close together?

I can imagine trees that are twenty five and thirty feet tall. I can see rhododendrons and other deciduous shrubs eight to ten feet high. The garden will change. It is changing. It will forever be in a state of flux.





















I can see a 10x10 heiau rising four feet high. I just can't see any rocks nearby. I see rock hunting in my future.





















In the barren time the distance I see expands.


i


















I found an orchid today trying to escape cultivation. I rescued it and returned it to its owner only to be told it had been cast out for a failure to bloom. I can see it blooming. It followed me home where it was potted and given a nice warm drink. I have no idea how long it had been out in the cold.





















In the barren time I have wide open spaces and long vistas that take in the entire garden and beyond. With no edges and much less vegetation to engulf me, I wander.


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

There IS beauty in barrenness for those who take the time to imagine & wander...
And the orchid will thank you. Just you wait and see.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I bet this orchid will be so happy you rescued it it will bloom this winter. One of my orchids is blooming. I enjoy them. They are no trouble at all.
Your barren garden is coming right along. It won't be long and you won't be able to call it barren. It is just a baby now, not barren.

Lola said...

The beauty of the undergrowth is coming into it's own. I love it.