Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Bountiful Pollens

Are you tired of cement yet? I am. Three down, two more of the tall columns to go. They will have to wait though. I have other plans for the next three days.

In addition to the abundant Ragweed (see post below) there are a myriad of other small flowered herbaceous plants busily spreading their pollen about. I even noticed a thin yellow film on top of my drying cement. Oh we are tired of that. Sorry I mentioned it.

This is the land of Asters. There has been an Aster or a near relative in bloom since the day I arrived and never just one species. It is a seasonal progression, a constant march.

One pale blue Aster. I am too tired to try and identify them.













One white forest Aster.
















One tiny lavender Aster. There looks to be a zillion of these.
















Then there are the Goldenrods. Three species at least. Maybe more. I would have to do a collection of samples and sit down with a key.




















The Goldenrods are very popular.
















The insects on the Angelica always seem stupefied. Drunk on nectar and too consumed with their feeding to fly away when I am very very close.

Alas the slightest breeze, muscle fatigue and this North Carolina lighting has made it difficult for me to get crisp closeups. It may be time for a fancier camera.













A bigger head of Goldenrod has room for more creatures.

















And there are the grasses.




















The big clump of Miscanthus has put out its tassels with dangling sacs of pollen.















Bountiful Pollens.

5 comments:

chuck b. said...

Bountiful pollens indeed.

Mighty nice assters you've got there, Mister C. (sorry, couldn't help it.) I'm working on my own native asters, Lessingia filaginifolia syn. Aster filaginifolia. I don't know when it blooms, but it's not now, that's for sure.

Keying out goldenrods...I'm sure you've got better things to do. Can it even be done? Definitively? I'm skeptical.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

ah ahhhh... ah choooo !

( tired of concrete.. never ! )

Anonymous said...

Fall blooms look well underway in the Blue Ridge. When do you expect your first freeze up there?

Christopher C. NC said...

First Freeze! Ack! Was that a chill I felt run down my spine? I really do not know Pam. I would guess middle to late October.

Ms Deviant, I think another good title for your blog might have been "Getting Hard in the Garden".

Why thank you Chuckles. I am glad you appreciate my assters.

lisa said...

Don't you just love the asters? Yours look just like mine, they come up everywhere, and I leave them all go. (Hey, chaos and disarray are my themes! ;-) That angelica is way cool, and I don't seem to have any around here...gotta look into that...