Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Is It Spring Yet?

Not!

It was almost 70 degrees today and pert near sunny to boot. I've been back to shovelin' dirt for the basement patio under the cabin. It felt a bit like being in the army, digging a hole so I can fill it back up with packed gravel. I guessed no one would really want to see more pictures of dirt, even if it had thawed out and dried up despite all the rain. I have very well drained soil.

I have just been so excited to see signs of life in the last week I couldn't wait for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. More and more of the Snowdrops, Galanthus nivalis are showing up through the brown leaf litter to let me know things are moving along.


















All kinds of other bulbs are beginning to show themselves too. More will need to be revealed before I know what many of them are.














The main bulbs here are the Narcissus/Daffodils because of their ease to grow and ability to naturalize. Other bulbs abound and I can see differences already in some of what is coming up. There are slight variations in the leaf arrangement.














From a distance it doesn't look like much is happening.














Wandering around the ridge top for a closer look there is more to see. A few fat ones.














A thick patch of skinny ones.














And the first blooms of 2008.


















I'll enjoy this 70 degree reprieve while I can cause the cold is fixin' to return shortly. There is even a hint of snow in the weather diagnosis.

7 comments:

Frances, said...

Wonderful, wonderful snow drops. What fun to be surprised by what pops up this your first year. Lucky! We have the same 70 degree day, with storm warnings on the horizon. Nice while it lasted though.

kate said...

So true that from a distance it doesn't seem as if much is happening. Yet, from closer distances, the earth is sending up tender green shoots that will soon be bursting with colour.

The Snowdrops are always such a joyful sight ...

Pictures of dirt seem pretty exciting to me since I haven't seen much dirt since mid-November. I miss not seeing the earth. Snow gets boring.

chuck b. said...

Hey, excitement! You have so many daffodils. Have you counted them? What's a ballpark estimate?

Those hyacinth-looking things suggest an interesting arrangement of bulbs. I guess hyacinths naturalize outside Clyde too?

chuck b. said...

The weather diagnosis. Heh.

Christopher C. NC said...

Frances I hope you make it through the storm ok this morning. I'm sitting here waiting for it to hit. The high mountains in the Great Smokies tend to mess with their winds and break them up a bit before they get to me.

Kate I haven't had a chance to get bored with snow yet. It doesn't stick around long here.

Chuck it is difficult to take the same path twice on the ridge top garden and try to remember what I saw where. I would have to count clumps of bulbs. Even then it would be hard to keep an accurate count. At this point I'm guessing less than 25% are even showing.

Yes there is a "Mountain Hyacinth", not sure what exactly, that the resident gardener spreads the seed of with abandon to increase it natural spreading abilities.

How many bulbs? In the tens of thousands.

chuck b. said...

And these are all naturalized from human plantings? (The mountain hyacinth sounds native.)

Exciting that there's still more coming up. Anticipation builds.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes they are all from human intervention. I doubt the "Mountain Hyacinth" is native. I'll see if I can pin them down on what it is.

I am hoping for a really good show, like you'ld see in a magazine, at least after the photo is cropped, edited and processed.