Monday, January 4, 2010

The Miracle Of Water

A friend called and invited me over for a visit at the perfect time. In between debilitating snows, the driveway was clear enough to leave. The road looked good. Even though it had already begun to snow, the real snow was not set to arrive until after dark.

A home cooked meal and a hot shower was offered. How could I resist. I had no running water for such luxuries inside the house.

It was a perfect day for a drive. Partly snowy, yet the roads were clear and dry. It was too cold for me to do much but twiddle my thumbs. A scenic drive sounded like a nice diversion. There were many photograph worthy scenes along the way. The already limited shoulders on a narrow mountain road where one could pull off to the side was made worse by left over two week old snow and crumpled trees all along the way. Besides it was really cold. No scenic pictures for you.



A wonderful visit was had and a delicious late breakfast that included fresh home baked biscuits and sweet yummy grapefruit from my sister's tree in Daytona.

After a hot shower and clean shave I was ready to be trapped once again by the new round of snow. I headed home before dark and before the real snow began with a nice collection of empty one gallon milk jugs, a gift from my friend. Such a handy item to fill with water from the spigot at the well. I was looking forward to flushing the toilet when I got back.

I turned the power back on to the well pump to go fetch my water. What is that sound? Is that water I hear going into the hot water heater? It's a miracle. The water has returned to the house. I know it did not get above 20 here today. It was 11 degrees when I got home. Did my electric blanket work? I tested it in the morning and there was no water so I shut off the blanket before I left. Maybe the jolt from the pump turning back on dislodged the ice cube stuck in the pipe. Who cares. I have water again.

Mostly. The kitchen sink is still froze. There must be some grit blocking the skinny water tube in the down stairs toilet. I can fix that tomorrow.

There is a faucet now dripping in the upstairs bathroom. I have water again, long before I could have ever expected.

5 comments:

Siria said...

Thank goodness for dear friends!!! Sounds like you had a great day overall. I hope the rest of your week goes the same, although I know the weather is not going to cooperate much this week. I wish I had been able to get my books to you. At least you would have had some good reading when the weather wasn't cooperating.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hooray for benevolent friends and running water. It doesn't take much to lift ones spirits does it??

Lola said...

That was a wonderful gesture by your friend. Thanks for friends-they are ever so helpful.
I'm glad your water is running ok. Now if Mother Nature will only cooperate & keep it to where you have all that you need.

Anonymous said...

Golly, that's awful; I've been there although not for so long. This is the winter from hell for you. Glad you can still find things to appreciate.
Here in Venice Florida it was in the 40's and wind blowing so hard the dog's ears were standing straight out on the dog beach -- even though she still wanted to go into the ocean! (didn't). The Floridians here are all horrified!

bev

Pam said...

These posts make me laugh (which is perhaps not the correct response!). I went to a friends yesterday for a hot shower (oh my god was it great) and she surprised me with lunch too - wow, it's the little things. I'm glad to see (in the more recent post) that the new thermostat is in - and I have grown to love sedges (here because they are so drought tolerant - they exhibit a respectable resilience for sure).

Although this weekend will be even colder, I'm hoping that next week that the lowcountry will be experiencing more civilized temperatures. Ahhh, gotta love irrational optimism!

Hang in there.