Thursday, March 18, 2010

Very Spring Like

I have been refrigerated for so long now, cool is the new normal. There were a few times on Maui while driving down the Piilani highway when it felt hot and on the verge of being uncomfortable. Maui's hot is not the hot of the south I grew up with and know. It doesn't really compare. Still, it felt good to return to cool.

Maybe I got lucky today. Two folks told me that today was the first real day since whenever that is has actually felt like there was a hint of spring in the air. A high of 54 degrees with plenty of sun and a light breeze made for a day without long underwear and minimal layers. Most pleasant.



I hear tell it was cold and ugly the whole time I was gone and the resident gardeners fled back to Florida first thing this morning. They had had enough.

I didn't miss a thing while I was gone. The snowdrops are only a little fuller and a bit more green than the last time I saw them before they got buried in the snow.



The digging and dispersal of snowdrops last fall was a success and several new colonies bloom down at my place. I must still be vibrating a bit from the long flight and the double detour route for rock slides and bridge construction from Knoxville back home. The pictures are a tad blurry.



I was back in time for the very first crocus bloom in the bed at the top of my driveway. I didn't miss a thing.



One other crocus was found in the ridge top garden. All those granules are the pre-emergent herbicide the resident gardeners spread in the spring. It prevents seeds from germinating and is used mostly to combat the giant native Impatiens pallida that will take over if you let it.



The daffodils have made some progress. More are appearing from their hibernation in preparation for the upcoming Bulbapaloozathon. They are late this year without a doubt. Last year at this time there where daffodils blooming. I didn't miss a thing.



For now we have plenty snowdrops



And snow free ground.



There is finally a suggestion of spring in the air, though I have no doubt it is bound to snow again more than once. Good thing cool is the new normal.

9 comments:

sallysmom said...

My daffodils are almost finished as are the crocus, so now I get to enjoy yours. It's good to see you back on the mountain.
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Where are you Sallysmom? Is there anywhere on the east coast that could be done with spring bulbs? It is good to be back on the mountain.

sallysmom said...

Chris, I am d-e-e-ep South.
Sallysmom

Siria said...

So glad you had a beautiful day today. Your post was a "Bloom Day" a few days late! I'm sure those kitties were happy to see you come home.

Lola said...

The mtn looks & sounds good. It's nice to look through the trees & see the ground like that. I always enjoyed that part.
Don't think you missed anything except maybe the cold temp.
Glad you had a much needed break.
The mtn is better now, you are back on it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Welcome home Barefootin' Maui Man. That first photo is a beautifully framed sky. No wonder you are happy to be home. Of course there is no place like home... Gosh your crocus has caught up to mine. All it takes is a little warm weather.

Anonymous said...

You did not miss a thing is right, except horrible mind numbing cold and wind, rain and no sun for weeks and weeks. The sun just now decided to return, and with it the warmer temps that the garden and the gardeners have been waiting for. Welcome home!
Frances

chuck b. said...

It's going to take you FOREVER! to pick up all those twigs and sticks!

What a mess!!!

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria If I had been here for bloom day all that would have been seen was the snowdrops.

Lola I do think the mountain does need me here to tend it. I know the resident gardeners enjoy the extra hand.

Lisa it is definitely a competition to see who has a lower climate zone, me or places further north.

Frances lucky I was gone. The resident gardeners were none to happy. I kept telling them see what I put up with to be here.

Chuck I pick up one stick at a time and there are brief periods of low stickiness. It is however a life long chore, my forever for sure.