Saturday, February 11, 2012

I Never Made It Past The Front Porch

It is currently 13.5 degrees. I'd say there is about four inches of snow at this point and it is still falling steadily. It is belly deep on the kitties who have only gone outside out of necessity. I made like the kitties today and went back to sleep for half of the day. The conditions seemed just right for a long nap.



The front porch offers a modicum of protection from the swirling snow and gusty winds. I never ventured beyond it. That wind is nasty. Little snow tornadoes were dancing all around.



It is 12.5 degrees now and all the bulbs are safely tucked beneath an insulating blanket of snow. They will be just fine. The suggested low is 15. I bet we dip below 10.

The little Rinnai propane gas wall furnace that heats the cozy cabin does an amazing job. I keep it set at 64. Its thermostat is saying it is keeping the room at 66 while other thermometers in here say it is 70 or 73. All I need to know is it is not too hot and not too cold. It is most comfy inside while a blizzard blows outside.



How's that for some winter interest? Just imagine when my baby evergreens become trees. I'll have something to look at in heavy snow and a bit of privacy from the scenic byway. Yes there are fools out there driving by in this weather and I have only seen the snow plow once.



I'll be needing evergreens trees and shrubberies of some sizable substance for winter conditions like this because other things are getting pulled back into the earth from where they came. They won't be visible at the extreme ends of the summer lush or winter snow.



It is now 11.4 degrees. The snow continues to steadily fall. I may have made a grave error when I did not park my truck at the top of the driveway. I have a 10am appointment Monday morning. Even if the sun comes out in force tomorrow, the suggested high of 36 won't melt this much snow. And here I thought I was going to have an entirely shovel free winter.

It is now 11.1 degrees. Tonight I go into freezing pipe protection mode. Drip. Drip. Brrr!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be a good time to make that slide show that depicts the building of the cabin.
Snowshoes???
Sallysmom

Lola said...

Shoveling, arrrrg. Hope all is ok. Put my geraniums back into the garage as freezing temps due by Mon. I do hope all here that has started to bloom will be fine. May not have any fruit.
Long naps are good. Do stay warm. I just viewed the Cozy Cabin of past. They sure look good.

Dianne said...

And, I am shivering here on the other side of the mountain and it is just 14. We got about half as much snow as you. Thank goodness. I have to get out soon, not to shovel, but to see how my two neediest guys made it. I am sure just fine. I had put out salt on the concrete part of the drive and parked the truck at the bottom of it. I should be good to go. When I can convince my self to get out.

Anonymous said...

Yipes! Winter always seems worse when we were lulled into thinking we would dodge it. 20 here on the coastal plain. Hope the pipe-warming and truck-freeing go well!

bev