Sunday, July 15, 2012

Jumble Meadow Bloom Day

It's a jumble out there. Rain and more rain at this tall stage of the game has caused a lot of floppage. Rain or not, that is pretty much the norm in the tall flower meadow. Flowers for Bloom Day are strewn throughout the mess.




















Gloriosa Daisy, Mexican Hat and Queen Anne's Lace line the driveway.




















A little closer look at the Mexican Hat, Ratibida columnifera. They go from pure yellow to almost completely dark orange with all manner of patterns in between. If their second year is any indication I may have a new weed.


























A large drift of Shasta Daisy blooms. I could easily fit in a drift four times this size. I think I will.


























It's a jumble from one end to the other. Strolling the ridge top garden now can even make my head spin. It is easy to tell I have not been spending hardly any time at all working over there since I moved.




















Stay focused on the pretty Beebalm flower. It will calm my nerves.




















There are purple coneflowers too.


























They tend to be lone specimens just randomly hanging out.



















The native annual Campanula americana pretty much decides on it own where it will appear in the jumble. You don't even know it is there until it blooms because the plant looks so much like so many other things that all look pretty much the same.


























Echinops - Eryngium bannaticus, which is it? I am finding it under both names. I am having trouble finding it behind the very tall chicory. It's hidden in the jumble. Echinops. Echinops wins the most search listings.


























The daylilies are winding down on July's Bloom day.


























While a garden's bones grow along the lower property line. These new grass divisions have stayed head high with the surrounding tall flower meadow. This kind of vigor is needed in the jumble. They will fit right in.




















Out there in the jumble meadow a Bloom Day is found. You can find more at Carol's of May Dreams drought stricken headquarters.




















I would be fine now with a day without rain. The baby shrubberies that are growing to become a garden's structure thank you, but lets not let this jumble get out of hand.

10 comments:

Les said...

There is nothing like a meadow garden in high summer, particularly with decent rains. Yours is looking good. Happy GBBD to you.

Debbie Teashon said...

I recognize this garden! Great to see all the blooms!

Lola said...

Jumble it may be but it's pretty. I have the bee balm but it hasn't bloomed at all. It's in pots, maybe that is why.

Rose said...

Such a pretty jumble of blooms, Christopher! If I had a meadow like this, right now it would be all brown:) Wish you could send some of your rain our way.

The Mexican Hat looks perfect in this setting--I don't think it will ever be a "weed."

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yep, I am luvin that jumble Christopher. Happy GBBD.

Christopher C. NC said...

When I put on my Monet glasses all is fine with the jumble.

Judy said...

I have an area in my backyard (Cinti OH) that I would like to make into a cultivated wild like your beautiful home. If I collect seed of coneflowers, rudebekia, and other drought hardy perenials . . . can I sow them in the fall or is it better so sow them in the spring? How do you begin such a daunting task?

Wally said...

Beautiful! Meadow is such a lovely word and yours lives up to it.

scottweberpdx said...

I love it...full and vibrant! I had the Ratibida when I lived in Nebraska...I wouldn't call it a weed...it's just a very CASUAL plant ;-)

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I am still working on my meadow garden....think it will take a number of years. Really need to add Mexican Hat to the mix!! Love your meadow mix.