Monday, December 21, 2015

On The First Day Of Winter

It's going to be sixty whole degrees before it warms up to sixty seven big ones in time for Christmas Eve. No white Christmas for you. It's going to be a wet one. I will be further south though, where it will be eighty degrees. Eighty degrees is the bottom rung of the danger zone.





















I got started on tidying up the collectibles around the vegetable garden annex when it was still a cold fifty degrees. It makes no sense of course. I need to build a shed. Hiding the collectibles would be so much better.





















I was not happy to see this. I found alliums coming up. Alliums are bad about jumping the gun even in normal cold winter weather. Rumor has it January is going to be warm and winter will arrive for February and March. That does not bode well for the future greenery, especially if the transition is abrupt.





















Even the baby rhododendrons would not like an abrupt change. They are a hardier evergreen for me than others, but can get winter burn on the leaves and loose their flower buds.





















It's best not to fret over such things. Instead, I can marvel at all the progress I have been making to add winter interest to the garden with evergreen trees, shrubs and perennials.





















Organizing all my rocks into monumental structures adds some winter interest too.


















My garden says garden more in the winter really than during the time of vegetation when it is engulfed in the Lush. It's more wild then. It blends in better to the surroundings then too. Such is the way it was supposed to be. I always knew my garden would be a hybrid between the wild and the cultivated.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have been doing some fretting about the too warm weather. My garden is acting like it is March. Sad really.I just will stop the fretting and watch the action. Nothing more can be done.

Christopher C. NC said...

It is scary Lisa, but there is nothing to do. I'm just happy that our daffodils are still no where to be seen, while the ones at The Inn are in full on growth.