Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Mother Iris

Like many plants in my garden, the purple iris currently blooming in my cabin side bed came from another garden. Here it blooms where I found it.





















All of this came from divisions I pulled from the single original clump. Today I was asked to spread it farther. The original clump is getting shaded out. The whole thing can be divided and moved.





















That means this must be the Clothesline Iris. I will be visiting its original home on Saturday and will see if it is blooming or even still there.





















This is new. I have never seen a trillium do this before. The white ones do age to pink, a uniform pink, never a tie dyed pink. There is another just like it on the slope below the scenic byway. It if goes tie dyed too, I could have something special.




















The Yellow Lady Slipper got a second shot of hot pepper. Last year some damn bug burrowed in and ate one of the flower buds before it came close to opening. I wanted to prevent that. I may have been to late. There was a suspicious hole in the terminal end of one stalk. I made sure to get some hot pepper in there.

One stem went to two, then to three for the second year now. I want six stems. I want seedlings. I want the bugs to leave it alone.





















The pink azalea is looking nice.





















Nature can be cruel and be kind in the same year. Nature can be strange and odd and unpredictable. Nature can be intense and amazing. Up here I have come to expect change and variation. There is no single way of doing things. There is no regular, only a continuum on which to plot an average.

Side by side along a path in the sunny utility meadow are two flower forms of Golden Ragwort, Packera aurea. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I have a tie dyed trillium.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That is a lot of iris. My irises are blooming along too. That trillium is a beauty. I like tie dyed.

Carol McKenzie said...

Golden ragwort...I have that. It's done blooming now. I never got around to looking it up. It's in the path by the house, where it will get mowed off. I should maybe move it.

That is a glorious iris. Iris here do not do so well. I think it's too wet too much of the time. Even in full sun in the driest place I can find, the only iris that will bloom are one unnamed variety of pale purple and a giant yellow thing from the neighbor. Any I buy just go rotten.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa that trillium was certainly a surprise.

Carol I don't think the Golden Ragwort is worth moving. It is a weak perennial, almost an annual, that likes disturbed ground. It is in constant motion here. Just let it go to seed. Try Louisiana Iris. They will take wet ground.

beverly said...

Whoa that is some packers variant! Never seen one that looked like that. I lucked into combining it with camassia to unexpected good effect this year!