Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Bloon Day Rush

I'm still working six days a week in the middle of November which just seems wrong. Seven if you count puttering in my own garden on Sunday as work. I have only managed to declare one garden done, see you next spring, so far. Then I have a new garden install for after Thanksgiving. It will get the bone structure of trees and shrubs before winter sets in.

By the time I get home these days it is near dark. That isn't right either. I had to rush out this evening to get Bloom Day recorded before it was too late.





















Looking out at frozen shades of brown and barren trees, one might wonder what could possibly be blooming out there. Not much that is for sure. I have plenty Objets de junk to help entertain me through the winter.





















But there are indeed fresh flowers in November.





















The native Witch Hazel, Hamamelis virginiana, is the last flower of the season in the forest. There is a nice grouping of this small tree, large open shrub on the forest edge. I have found more deeper in the forest.





















I have been editing around them to give them more light and elbow room. I like to think they have responded by giving me more flowers in November. This Witch Hazel is my reliable contribution to Bloom Day in November.

Head over to Bloom Day Headquarters if that isn't enough to satisfy you. Bloom Day is an international event. There is an entire planet packed full of flowers in bloom.

I have Witch Hazel.





















I have an old chimney too. I bet it is the only one you will see barring a google search.




















It is about time for a good winter storm with wicked winds and crushing snow. I could use a little help knocking this meadow down. That isn't how things work in the gardens I tend. I have to cut everything down and pick it all up. I'm still working on it.

Gardey don't do that in these parts. Round about February I will chop and drop whatever is left standing.




















I have variegated evergreen foliage for Bloom Day. How about that? Comes with dried bloom stalks.




















Then I saw a rose, a slightly frozen rose, but a blooming rose none the less.




















The rose hips from the real bloom are more awesome though.





















I hope you enjoyed my Bloom Day. I got home just in time.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect!

Lea said...

Love the rose and rose hips photos!
How did you get that bicycle up in that tree?

Christopher C. NC said...

Thank you Daisy.

Lea I put eye hooks in the two trees. Attached my metal cable to the bike. Raised it with rope through the eye hooks into position. Then attached the cable to the eye hooks and untied it. Done .... ever so slowly.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Those rose hips are gorgeous. Some critter has eaten almost every one off my rose. Bah humbug.
My garden is about in the lay down stage. Will be after the high winds, rain and cold of today. That is if the rain gets here. So far it is staying south. I hope you get some rest this weekend.

betty-NZ said...

I always find that what comes after the blooms can be just as pretty and interesting as the blooms themselves. Your late garden images are great!