Thursday, November 28, 2019

Lazy Days Of Thanksgiving

I took advantage of a power outage and came home early yesterday afternoon. The power was out and the gate wouldn't open. Too bad.

















But this was a disconnect your service outage, not a wind and power line outage. I found the notice that had blown off the gate. What the? How cold is that? What kind of power company (Duke) would turn off somebody's power with no notice the day before Thanksgiving for what was obviously one months bill that was missed by the amount due listed. Seriously, they have a multi-year history of a perfectly fine account. That's just cold and ruthless.




















Oh well. I made the appropriate calls. The appropriate people handled it and the power was turned back on that same afternoon. But damn that's cold.

I went for a walk with the Witch Hazels.




















Decent weather in daylight hours when I am home is a rare commodity this time of year. The definition of decent weather changes a bit too, but that is what long underwear and hats are for.




















I walked and plotted.

















Enjoying the far reaches of the Under Garden as it comes out for the winter.



















Rain and snow continue to press the chopped and standing meadow back into the earth.




















I already planned to take Thanksgiving day off and relax. Trust me, I know how to pick a property and work on a holiday. The older I get the less likely that is going to happen.




















I wandered and plotted.




















The weather was going to be decent tomorrow after the howling wind died down.




















Late in the day, round about decent, I went out in the garden for a little more chop and drop. The Under Garden has been expanding.




















Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Prostrata' and Cotoneater dammeri 'Streib's Findling' have come out for the winter.




















I also chopped the hillside of injured conifers. This slope has become home to a number of second chance plants.




















The Japanese Christmas tree should be naked in plenty time. Another snow storm and some more wind will do it.



















It was a most fine, perfectly lazy Thanksgiving day.


4 comments:

Uwharrie Mountain Native Plant Farm said...

Duke Energy is the Devil. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sallysmom said...

I need to do some container chop after our once every 10 years freeze but oh, I ate to much on Thanksgiving day.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Duke is awful. I am glad you got to enjoy the day anyway and the wind didn't blow you away.

Christopher C. NC said...

Well I am glad that Duke is not my power company. They only took over this part of Waynesville in the last year.

Lisa you get used to the strong wind and power blips that generally come with every front that passes.


Sallysmom I have been encountering frozen and neglected containers all over in my travels and too much turkey can't be a valid explanation for things.