Sunday, July 23, 2023

Baby Voodoo

This is the absolute latest rising of the Voodoo Lilies that I can recall. It seems they would be fully leafed out around the end of June in the past. I could go back in time on the blog and find out. The worldwide record heat wave is slow to reach the mountain top thank you very much.












I can't help myself. I made a tray of baby voodoo. They hang on the front porch for the summer with the house plants I am not supposed to have. I can't help myself. Plants just multiply around me.














I felt pretty sick all week after the last chemo. Other than going for a new CT scan, I did not get much past the front porch all week. Good thing I have some pretty on the front porch to meditate on. The oncology nurse said that the chemo gets progressively worse when I called to whine about the troubles I was having. One more to go.














The sick lifted on Friday after I got myself fully re-hydrated. I wandered down to the basement patio for a closer look at the summer meadow with ever more weed flowers in bloom.














The garden misses me. Its fate after my passing is written in the editing and maintenance I don't have the energy or flexibility to do right now. After all these years of tinkering, the meadows are having a very good bloom year without me. I just want it to look nice for the party when my ashes are spread.














On the edge of life and death, I watch the garden grow and endure. If I was a rich man, I would hire myself a real gardener, such a nice thing to have. But I am a contented peasant gardener who has lived his whole life outside.


2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I relate to the not being able to stop oneself from propagating and nurturing new plant life. Every winter I move a lot of plants into my enclosed back porch and every spring I tell myself, as I move them back outside - no more! I will cut back this year and it doesn't happen. I wish you were not experiencing this bittersweet summer watching what you have nurtured bloom and expand while also seeing all that you cannot attend to out there. Thank you for sharing, Christopher.

beverly said...

I think there is some contentment in watching how Mother Nature takes care of herself without our help. It may be a bit wilder than we prefer but there is beauty in that too. If there is gladness in your situation at all, I am glad that you have the summer and fall ahead of you instead of being in the middle of winter. Those are some healthy looking voodoo lilies.