Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Baby Maple

Tucked among the bigger forest trees the little babies can get lost. Often not more than a couple of small branches, they blend in to the dense thicket of green. Until now. Little balls of fire are lighting up the shady forest floor.














With plenty of water for the most part, they don't go thirsty and with a lot of leaf litter and deadfall there is plenty to eat. Still only a few small trees actually manage to hang on in the dense shade. They may have found a spot with just enough light to survive while they wait for an opening in the canopy, for their big chance.

A gravel drive leads to the beginnings of a small cabin and a new life tries to gain a foothold in the forests of WNC. I spent my second full day working in the garden of my first client and tomorrow I have another job interview. I was over qualified for the last one.

This new job possibility at a posh estate would prefer someone with experience in Tropical Plants, small power equipment, landscape maintenance and the ability to obtain a NC Pesticide Applicators License. I have that.














Who knows where this road will lead.













The baby maples really do make quite a splash standing out by themselves in the shady interior of the forest. Brilliant leaves against a dark background making a show as if it might be their last one.














Hopefully I will shine as brightly tomorrow and someone will think this could turn into a very fine tree for our forest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt you will. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Well, well - experience in tropical plants!! How can they turn you down??!! Just make sure they are not **@@%&## to work for, so you're not miserable!
ps I am with you on the small balls of color - yesterday in my woods I discovered a small grove of Hamemalis virginiana that I never noticed before - they had all turned a nice pale yellow, and one was even blooming (the tipoff for this very amateur botanist....)
Best of luck tomorrow.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks Pam. I thought the lengthy interview went well. It seemed they were looking to see if I was a real gardener and not some person with a romantic notion of working in a lush tropical greenhouse. Yes I know it is physical dirty work.

I'll have to check my Hamemalis virginiana for blooms Bev. I found a second grouping of them a while back. Now where were they?

Carol Michel said...

Sounds like a promising job possibility!

I do love seeing the surprises of fall, revealed as the colors change.

lisa said...

Good luck with the job! My witch hazel is blooming now, too. Cool that you have them wild out there.