Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Patchwork Quilt

"The Picture" that encapsulates Autumn in all it glory may not come in the form of one that includes "The View." A subject of some sort would help I think. The sky can be that subject if you can get it to show up. In the bright light of day that can be a problem when "The View" and the sun's position are not co-operating with the camera's abilities. I like my skies true, not a washed out haze.












This same spot was seen earlier in the summer as Joe Pye Weed and a view. It is just around the corner on the same mountain as the picture above. Fall comes as a patchwork quilt, shifting by elevation, exposure and direction. We know it will come, just not exactly how boldly, the precise day or time or which part of the forest it will choose first.














In one spot along our drive the view and the sun's position lined up enough to allow the sky to be blue. Still this is not "The Picture." It is nice, but it doesn't grab me and pull me in. The wow factor is missing. In live viewing, it is another matter. By all the cars stopped along the road you would think people had spotted a whale, er, I mean a bear.













Yes this tree was that audaciously red. I am not certain, but I think it may be Nyssa sylvatica, Blackgum, heading into winter in a blaze of glory.


















Death can also come like a patchwork quilt. Two of our blogging friends, Chuck at Whoreticulture and Pam at Tales from the Microbial Laboratory have suffered painful losses in the last two days. My friend, Aparina's mother passed last night. The phone call making the announcement for my eldest cousin is expected at any moment.














I don't do death well. It is a fumbling response. The right words, the right actions do not come automatically with grace. I do not weep for death, I get uncomfortable.

One can only hope for clarity and a clear focus on such an important subject.















More likely there is that pretty picture we like to paint for ourselves. Yet the horizon will forever be hazy and untrue because it is unknown and too far to see. My camera does not have infinite abilities.














Nearer to the homes we create for our safety and comfort, more time and familiarity with the patterns of light allow the chance for a peek at the true blue sky and for the colors to shine through.












Some times there is clarity in a picture with a small piece of the view. Trying to capture the whole patchwork in "The Picture" is much harder to do.

5 comments:

chuck b. said...

Indeed.

Annie in Austin said...

I've been enjoying your hills and trees and skies, Christopher - so much here is juniper or broadleaved evergreens like live oak - very different from the colorful falls of Illinois.

As to death and autumn, we love the splendor of those autumn leaves but that doesn't change the fact that the leaves are detaching themselves from life, getting ready to fall. I knew about Dogwood, but not about Chuck's losses or yours. I'm very sorry to hear what you've all had to deal with in the last couple of days.

Annie

Ki said...

It is quite amazing that your trees have much more color than we have in NJ even considering the higher elevation. I always wanted to plant a black gum tree for its fall foilage but we ran out of space. The red color and shape of the leaves sure looks like a black gum but the tree form doesn't quite look like it. It could be that other trees intruding on its space has affected its shape. Beautiful color though.

lisa said...

Beautiful post, Christopher! You sure have a great selection of trees/colors. Maybe the beauty of this kind of seasonal change is to help us find beauty in death's other forms...difficult as it is.

Anonymous said...

I'm always behind in reading, and I just read this.

As Chuck B. wrote...

Indeed.