Tuesday, October 2, 2007

White Oak Finds Me

A lot of this land is uncharted territory. There are no paths, no gardens. It envelopes us in its wildness and creates the pristine beauty that brings us here. There is no desire to change how it is or how it functions.














It is a garden in its own right filled with a wealth of native plants that creates a changing seasonal display. I can walk new parts of it. I can walk through at different times of the year. It will take quite some time and many many walks to find out all the secrets this place holds.














Mostly I look and listen. What will be revealed today?














I spotted acorns in the leaf litter barrens inside a grove of Hemlocks and looked up. High above the Hemlocks, way to high to reach any leaves, were the Oaks. I looked down again. Where there are trees there will be leaves on the ground and I found what I was looking for, Oak leaves.

I found Oak leaves with rounded edges of the lobes. There is White Oak , Quercus alba here too.

One tiny sprout on a trunk that I was able to reach had a different leaf shape. It was less deeply lobed, but I think it is just due to being in more shade, than it being another species.














That is four species of Oaks so far. They are all listed as being slow growing valuable lumber trees. Which may be more prized for its wood I am not sure. As a landscape tree, other factors like growth habit, its form and size and fall color would help determine which species may be preferable.













Here I do not have to choose. Nature does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Psst! Don't even mention that word "lumber"! You want your hillside to remain pristine.