Monday, February 11, 2008

Gravel

This $300 pile of gravel needs to be moved then squashed. A well drained stable foundation is being laid.














So that is what I have been doing in between resume updating and printing, cover letter writing and application form filling. It seems the thought of spring is in the air and like the snowdrops waking to bloom, a new crop of horticulture related job possibilities has appeared. Maybe this period of my unfortunate under employment is about to come to an end.

This was not a good time for all forms of spell check to have wandered off of my computer. I have noticed my southern accent, I don't really have one, comes out in my spelling in the frequent transposition of "A's" and "E's" in words. There's a drawl in there some where.














The landscape fabric was placed in the footing for the dry stacked stone wall and tacked to the hill to hold it in place. The top of the batter boards are leveled for the top height of the gravel and the first layer has been placed and packed down. Soon I will be able to start scrubbing stones and stacking them into a new wall.

I thought I would never get to this point.

Breathe....














I must slow down and let the stones talk to me more on the construction of this second wall. I want this to be an improvement with less doubt.

















Just for a while though, it is time to come out of my cave and do a major beauty treatment before I head out into the real world and make an effort at being presentable. Things can get kind of ugly and unruly all alone up here on the mountain. Sniff sniff? I understand grunge much better now.

6 comments:

chuck b. said...

I also would benefit greatly from a beauty treatment.

You're so skilled with all the landscape construction. Amazing you're doing it all by yourself. for the most part.

Frances, said...

This is really coming along, looking good. You must be in great shape as far as beauty goes, with all that digging and hard work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've made a lot of progress in a short time! Your cold tolerance must be getting pretty good by now. Good luck with the job search; we are rooting for you.

Annie in Austin said...

The wall is impressive and it's fun for us to watch the progress, but you're right- those who hire feel more comfortable with some grooming and a conventional appearance.
As Frances notes, you're really toned now, and from previous glimpses, we know you clean up real good ;-]
Good luck!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Christopher C. NC said...

I consider 50 warm now so that must mean I'm adapting to the cold.

I do clean up well. Back in Hawaii my clients were often shocked, shocked I tell you, to see me at some event all cleaned up. I'd get a lot of double takes before they realized it was me.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It has been awhile since I checked in on your project. Sniff... It looks like it is coming along quite well. Sniff sniff... Good luck on your job hunt. ;) I hope it goes as well as your project. I can't wait to see how the wall starts taking shape.