Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Wicked Wind This Way

Location, location, location and probably elevation, elevation. The wind just loves to whip through here on a regular basis. If you have ever had a desire to look at the silvery underside of Rhododendron leaves, now is a good time.

Another sunny day wrecked by a vicious wind. It was too brutal to spend much time outside even though it has been relatively warm, as in 45.














It is a wonder that the trees do not have a definite lopsidedness from these howling winds that come in from the north west on a regular basis. I think I am beginning to lean to one side a bit more to go with my developing alligator skin and desiccating lips.


















Still I wander about and find things. A pocket of ice lingering across the highway on the north facing portion of the mountain. A mini bog garden of sorts in a drainage along a private road that climbs around the mountain. I should hike that when hunting season is over.














Quite a few clumps of a sedge were growing along this mini bog. I have two clumps of this sedge in my front bed that I saved. They have stayed quite green through the winter which is a nice feature for a plant in a world of brown.













If I need more I know where I can fetch some.

It would be nice too if I could name this sedge. I found this list of sedges in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Some photos or descriptions would be helpful. That's a lot of sedges!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear you loud and clear on wind...only we're getting heavy wet snow with it. It causes all kinds of challenges for our garden here on this hill, but I suppose every garden has its challenges. On the other hand, in summer we don't have many blackfles or mosquitos...

deb said...

That extra altitude makes it colder and breezier there. We got in the mid 50's today, and it was windy, but didn't have to fight it to work. Just thought it interesting that a little altitude makes that much difference.

BTW, Gold Bond makes an awesome lotion/cream and I'm a four or five times a day chapstick user.

My daughter has a friend that moved from the Dom. Rep. to Colorado and he thought he had contracted a serious disease because his lips were swollen, cracked and bleeding...she let him know about chapstick.

chuck b. said...

Do you know the word Krumholtzed?

Christopher C. NC said...

I've been Krumholtzed.

While I was out there my back to the wind, arms flailing about like wind socks I was thinking this wind needs a name. In Hawaii we had Kona and Tradewinds, California has the Santa Ana.

This can be the Krumholtz wind.