Sunday, March 21, 2010

Half Way To Waimoku Falls

The hike to Waimoku Falls at Kipahulu in Haleakala National Park is an easy four mile round trip I have done numerous times. In order to get to Kahanu Garden whose hours are only 10 to 2, the hike to the falls had to be shortened.



Waimoku is the four hundred foot fall at the end of a trail that takes you right to the base of the fall, but there are plenty of other falls along the route. Half a hike along the stream through the tropical rain forest is better than no hike at all.



When the water is not running high and if you listen carefully for a thunderous rush headed towards you, you can actually swim, splash is more like it, in some of the pools in the stream. Keep in mind there are feral pigs, goats and probably deer by now in the watershed above you.



They have trees in the forest.



And Bird's Nest Ferns in the trees.



And beautiful falls I had never seen before because the trail had been rerouted. At first I was upset that the trail seemed to be going around the bamboo forest instead of through it. The new route, new bridges and new scenery were well chosen and I got over my disappointment quickly.



Because we did get to go through the bamboo forest after all.



At least we could have. We turned back around at the one mile marker and the beginning of the bamboo forest.



Coffee grows wild in the forest understory. I think shade grown coffee is the new PC environmental way to grow the stuff. It is not however in any way a native plant to the Hawaiian islands. That being the case I wonder if you would get busted for harvesting the beans when they are in season because this non-native invasive plant is in a national park?

Coffee is actually a beautiful shrub and the flowers are incredibly fragrant.



Baby Lauhala, Pandanus or Screwpine have wandered further into the forest from the shoreline.



It wasn't the big falls, but it will certainly do for a mini hike.



There is one, maybe two more Maui posts to come. The rains have returned and there is of course a warning for snow above 3500 feet. That would include me. Maybe those posts will come sooner than later.

I decided my next cabin project will be cleaning, sanding and staining all the interior wood elements before I do the tile floor. That way I only need to cover the new drywall when the staining starts and the whole interior can get a good cleaning before the tile floor goes in. I have all the supplies. I just needed to do some gardening first. Spring like weather has also caused the clients to start calling.

Perhaps rain and snow will convince me to start sanding wood.

7 comments:

Lola said...

What a fantastic place. The beauty is unquestionable. {Think that is the right word}.
The waterfalls are something else. There seems to be quite a bit to see & explore there. Being barefoot is right down my alley. What a pleasure it would be to walk down these paths with such abandon.
I'm glad you got to attend to your strawberries & peas. They will taste good later. We planted the ever bearing kind when I was a kid.

Just saw on TV at my son's where they pulled out a 10' gator from St.Johns by a logging co. It could easily pull a grown man under. Scary. The logging co. pulls Cyprus trees from the waters edge that have been there for yrs. A lot of $ for those logs.

Siria said...

What a great hike! Looks like a fun day. I hope that snow doesn't come your way.

Les said...

Thanks for taking us on your hike. I am not sure I would have been able to pull myself away from that incredible tree to see any waterfalls.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Mini fall for a mini hike. What a lush beauty the island is. Just almost hard to believe. The big tree you showed us looks like a magical mystical being. You came home to a very busy time.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

P.S. Do coffe flowers smell like brewing coffee??

chuck b. said...

Wow, I wish I'd known about this when we were there. Any favorite hikes on Kauai you want to tell me about? :)

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola at least in Hawaii no need to worry about gators and snakes.

Siria I need to do more of the water fall hikes around here. I know there is a book just on those.

Les that tree can make one believe they actually have spirits.

Lisa the wet side of the islands is mega lush. That tree was for sure very cool. Coffee flowers are sweet like a jasmine or gardenia.

Chuck I am not sure about hikes but, must sees...
The view of Waimea Canyon and the Napali coast from one place, the end of the road in Kokee State Park and the National Tropical Botanical Garden has 3 gardens on Kauai, the McBryde, the Allerton and Limahuli.