Friday, March 19, 2010

More Maui

I have a few more Maui posts to come that I did not get to while there. Visiting can keep a person busy. This one is scenes from - On the Road to Hana.

Keanae peninsula is home to a small, very native Hawaiian community. They are not far at all from high ground on this side of Maui, but a real tsunami would put a hurting on the town big time because the peninsula is flat and just barely above the level of the crashing waves.



A Strelitzia nicolai, White Bird of Paradise, growing wild.



Beneath the rain forest canopy.



You can see the guard rail of the Hana highway below me in the bottom right of the picture.



The windward side of the island is much more rugged with steep cliffs and rocky shores. There are only a handful of accessible sand beaches.



Feral cats and chickens lounging on a green lawn



Ocean side down on Keanae peninsula.



Blowhole.



The old church at Keanae.



It had been raining and the streams were running high, at least those whose water had not been taken by EMI, East Maui Irrigation, to water the sugarcane in the central valley. This picture shows some of the canal structures used to move water to the other side of Haleakala.



There had been enough rain that some was overflowing back into the natural stream bed.

There is more of Maui still to come in the days ahead. Early spring in North Carolina will not be neglected though.

5 comments:

Lola said...

Nice. Love the church. What causes a blowhole?

Lola said...

I forgot to ask, but the old leaves on the Bird of Paradise---can they be cut off or should they be left on? I think I can salvage at least one of mine from this awful cold winter. Mine have bloomed only once & the bloom was yellow/magenta.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola a blow hole is when the force of a wave gets pushed into a constricted small opening in the rocks. The power of the waves makes it like a geyser. The old leaves on the BofP can be cut off no problem and would be in a more maintained garden.

chuck b. said...

Intensely beautiful! I cannot wait to get my fix!!

Christopher C. NC said...

Enjoy yourself Chuck as I am sure you will. It was good for me to go visit and know I made the right choice. There were just too many people there now running around and it hasn't grown much at all in 3 years. I have been ruralized.