Monday, July 15, 2013

A Few Blooms For Bloom Day

It's Bloom Day again and there sure is a lot blooming. Too much really to effectively turn it all into a blog post. I'll just do a small sample. If you need more keep scrolling. Plenty Bloom Day worthy pictures here at Outside Clyde. If you need still more, head on over to Bloom Day Central at May Dreams Gardens. From there you can tour the blooming world.

We have Gooseneck Loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. Lots of it. Most Loosestrifes are hardy spreaders.





















The native Rhododendron maximum have begun to bloom. They bloom much later than the showier hybrids. They also tend to bloom heavy one year and lightly the next. We are in a light bloom year with these native rhododendrons.





















'Annabelle' is a naturally occurring cultivar of the native Hydrangea arborescens which was discovered in the wild. I have a lot of the plain specie H. arborescens in the garden becoming.





















'Annabelle' and Rudbeckia hirta.





















I love it when one of my baby shrubberies blooms for the first time. This is the Bottlebrush Buckeye, Aesculus parviflora. One day it will be a very large shrub.



























And I particularly love this grouping. It has an exotic feel to it like it is from another continent. It is composed of  the hybrid Feather Reed Grass and the natives Yucca filamentosa and Liatris. I'll be needing more of all of them.



























That's it for Bloom Day. Hope you all enjoyed some nice time in the garden today.

7 comments:

Lola said...

Blooms look great. Weed whacking had to wait as it rained today.

David - Pinewood Cottage said...

Do you think the Anna belle hydrangea would Ike it here in lower piedmont SC? I think it would make a great addition to the white garden, but it has to be able to take the heat.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Good choices for bloom day. Happy GBBD.

Christopher C. NC said...

David I think if you give the Annabelle at least half a day of shade and consistent moisture it would do fine in SC. It ranges through the midwest which gets plenty hot in the summer.

Lea said...

Beautiful blooms!
I especially like the white Bottlebrush Buckeye.
I have the Red Buckeye that blooms in the spring.
have a wonderful week!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Les said...

Looks like you are having a nearly all-white Bloom Day.

scottweberpdx said...

I just LOVE the Bottlebrush Buckeye...it's one of the plants I will definitely plant if I ever have a larger garden!