Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Goodbye Buttercup

It was a fun little experiment. I let one Buttercup run wild. It was pretty when it all bloomed. By the time it was done blooming it had taken over half the cabin side bed and continued to advance at an alarming rate. Plus it was looking rather ratty.





















Goodbye Buttercup. It is time for you and your smothering ways to go. You didn't fit in with my plans for this bed. I'll have to stay on top of it for the next year at least. It bloomed and set plenty seed. I'm sure I missed a crown or two.

I want to stick with my Oat Grass, sedges and add more liatris. The Rose Campion and Cleome are self seeding well. There's iris, daylilies and mums in this bed. I need more interest, more movement, more drama. A solid mat of Buttercups won't do.





















More drama, more movement, more interest. The sewer line bed is getting more of all of it.





















The discard rack lilies have finally bloomed. Last year they got froze. They don't look anything like what they were tagged as, basically short, white Easter Lilies. No lily this tall could ever be sold in a big box store. Still, I'm having a hard time imagining them being perverted in a green house with growth hormones into something else entirely.

The gladiola which are not supposed to be hardy here are back. Gardy don't dig no bulbs and tubers for winter storage. Plants either live or die by their own level of endurance to winter's chill. Gladiola are proving to be more hardy than dahlias up here.





















More lilies and no Buttercups.



























I have a feeling though, now that one Buttercup has followed me home, they are here to stay.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm liking those lilies :)
And aren't you lucky with the glads?!?

Sallysmom said...

My Easter lilies get pretty tall. But yours look a little more like some kind of Orienpet.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Sometimes you can get too much of a good thing...like butter. Those lilies don't look like easter lilies to me either. Pretty though.