Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I'm Frilled

There was a most excellent rain assisted melt through most of the night. By the time I came home from work, yes that has started up again, my garden was back.





















Every little sign of life is most welcome now. The round swirly lichen covering a rock in the garden border has even been growing.





















I was frilled to see my baby Hamamelis x intermedia 'Unknown' after a warm day of partly sunny skies. The petals have unfurled. I will have nice sized frilly flowers on my Witch Hazel. It's not the red 'Diane' I wanted and paid for, but it will do. I can add 'Diane' some where else in the garden. This is such a hopeful shrub for the last gasp of winter. To bad it was a few days late for Bloom Day.



























I searched. I looked. There is still no sign of the daffodils. This week of warm should wake them up and get them moving. There are plenty of crocus that will come first. Even they have been slow to get moving this year.





















Next week's cold isn't looking real cold, 40's - 20's. Cool cold is better than too hot at this time of year. I'm anxious for spring, but it shouldn't be rushed. Slow is better. I'm hoping this is the best bulb year ever, the one that Bulbarella always dreamed of.

6 comments:

beverly said...

Looks like it will be a nice witch hazel, mislabel notwithstanding!

Christopher C. NC said...

Lucky for the baby Witch Hazel. It is planted in prime real estate. It would have been moved at the least. I looked at the various cultivars and think it's either 'Arnold's Promise' or 'Primavera' because of the red calyx base.

Lola said...

I do like the Witch Hazel but like you I think it would be ok to be somewhere else, not prime real estate. I hope not but could still get snow from what I remember.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola as long as it has nice big yellow flowers I am fine with it in prime real estate. I was concerned the flowers might be tiny and bad, a real rogue. We will definitely get more snow. It snows into April on a regular basis.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I also bought a witch hazel that I thought was mislabeled because it bloomed this past fall instead of winter as I was hoping. Now it is beginning to bloom again. That will be a bonus. I think it was so stressed this fall it thought it should bloom just in case...

Sallysmom said...

I have Arnold Promise and it seems like it is stunted. It is the same size that it was when I planted it 3 years ago. I am thinking about just tearing it out.