Saturday, February 15, 2014

There Are No Flowers

For Miss Carol's Bloom Day. They were buried under the snow.  I have seen blooming snowdrops already. I just won't be seeing any today.





















I woke to grey skies, falling snow, blowing wind and twenty degrees. I had my coffee and went back to bed til noon. By the time I got back up the sun was beginning to come back out. It was too late though. With three inches of fresh snow it was never going to melt enough to find any snowdrops. I wasn't willing to go outside and start digging either.

I could have gone to check on the baby Witch Hazel. It had started to bloom last week during a minor warm intrusion into winter. I would have had to trudge through a foot of snow with a hard crust half way down to see the Witch Hazel. I wasn't in the mood. There will be no flowers for this February's Bloom Day.





















Instead of blooms I have the scenic, pristine, wind blown snow with a hard crust half way down. Pretty, eh?

Now melt.





















It is possible this long steady duration of cold and snow could have some beneficial floral effects. The bulbs that should be popping up are backing up. There is a delay. Once it starts to warm up for spring they could fire all at once creating a Bulbapaloozathon of epic proportions. I'll plan on that while I wait for the snow to melt.

2 comments:

Lola said...

I don't blame you for not getting out that early. In time all will show.

Annie in Austin said...

The snow looks beautiful from here, Christopher. I still remember how exciting it was to watch the plants gradually emerge once things started to melt, with the first flowers showing near tree trunks that absorbed the sunlight.
That will come soon enough - maybe while the flowers dream you can dream, too?

Annie