Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A Dash Of Red Pepper

I'm a few grasses short of the Dutch Wave perennial planting style that uses mass plantings of different grass species to create that dramatic moody meadow effect. My desire for winter interest in the barren time sent me in another direction that may not be completely compatible with that Dutch Wave.

The winter under garden of low mounding evergreens kind of requires the Tall Flower Meadow is chopped down sooner rather than later. The dead brown time of that type of planting is almost half the year of its appeal, at least when it doesn't get bent out of shape by the weathers.





















I'm waffling on the grasses at the moment, feeling caught between amber waves and a sharp pair of shears. As small groupings, the grasses don't have much impact. It looks like I missed a weed.

All the grass plantings are new though, two years or less and from divisions. They will get bigger quickly and I can always do more dividing to make larger sweeps for more effect.

That could still leave me with a possible contradiction in styles between the dried grasses and the evergreens.



























I can experiment for a few more seasons and see how it goes. I have already considered leaving more of the dried perennials standing to contrast with the grasses when I do the first chop to reveal the under garden. I could also just cut the grasses down at the same time and not let them stand over the winter.

I will have to have a look at the garden again with the sole idea of where, if any more, grasses can be added. I do know they have to be shorter grasses. The tall miscanthus is too big for this slope.





















I remembered in my horror yesterday that Bulbarella usually has big canisters of red pepper on hand for her bulb planting. I'm sure it discourages the varmints that follow around behind us digging up anything freshly planted. It may deter the voles for a bit from snacking on the edible bulbs.

This is the hesperaloe that is already seventy five percent gone. It's only hope is to sprout a whole new plant.





















Merry Christmas you damn varmint!! May you get a snout full.





















It is a good month early, but I have a Witch Hazel in bloom for Christmas. It isn't going to get cold enough any time soon to put a stop to it. These are the hardest flowers to get in focus. They don't have enough substance for the camera to latch on to. Maybe next time.

Merry Christmas to all. May your festivities be filled with all kinds of spicy delights. Just be careful not to get a snout full.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you, too, Christopher! And thank you for another year of enjoyable and informative blog posts with excellent photos from your beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain property "OUTSIDE CLYDE" on 209! Cheers! πŸŽ…πŸŽ„πŸŽπŸ“―πŸŽΆπŸ””πŸ­

Lola said...

Merry Christmas, Christopher. It may be a bad one for me.

Christopher C. NC said...

Merry Christmas Dana.

Lola I hope your Christmas is better than you are thinking.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I know what you mean about the wave. I prefer to use grass as an exclamation point rather than a wave. Of course I don't have the acreage you have. I prefer the variations of green during winter.
A tip on how to get your macro to work is to put your hand right behind the flower you want to come into focus. When it is in focus you can remove your hand and voila you have a sharp close photo

matt said...

Hey Christopher, I use lots of Red Pepper to keep the beasties at bay. I buy several pounds of the stuff for just a few dollars at either local Asian or Hispanic grocery stores. Really helps with the budget!
Merry Christmas
Matt

Lola said...

It is going to be a bad one for me. He's gone.