Friday, January 25, 2019

My Deer Friend

Seeing this over and over again on the computer is not the same as seeing it over and over, live and in person, interacting with the living biosphere.




















This has been a strange year for deer in the biosphere. They are calmly showing themselves and evidently spending more time in the wild cultivated gardens. They have always been here. I'm beginning to get suspicious.




















Last year I agreed to let my deer hunter put out food for them, way out back mind you.




















A lot of folks in these parts know how to raise cattle. Raising deer can't be too different. My deer hunter is very good at deflecting on this subject and eager for every detail of my sightings and close encounters.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Deer are in rut now. Moving a lot. Seems like putting out food for deer is just an appetizer for disaster in the cultivated garden.

Christopher C. NC said...

I should read up on deer habits and life cycles to be better informed. I do know for many years running a buck has staked out an apple tree in mom's garden as his place to make a mark. This year they ate all the apples ASAP. Normally the remnants of them lasted into winter.