Thursday, September 12, 2019

Okra Weather

It has been hot and dry going on three weeks now. I have come to expect an end of summer dry spell. It seems to happen every year.




















I don't worry about the wild cultivated gardens. They will be fine, just more or less dry. The freshly planted and gardens I tend can be more of a concern.




















The okra is loving this hot and dry. When everything is just right, things start to happen. All I can do is have some in the ground ready to go and hope for the best. The first bit of cool can shut the whole thing down.




















But it was too hot for picking okra when I got home. I headed for the shade where Allium triccocum seeds are ripening.




















Where Doll's Eyes waved in a hot pitiful draft.




















There is an opening in the forest canopy above. When the sun is just right, In Hawaiian Waters lights up in the shade.




















The division and transplantation of Oconee Bells was a success. I may do a couple more after the hot and dry has passed.




















I stuck to the shade waiting for the sun to finish. The okra is doing great. I have contracted a prolonged state of lethargy. Any hotter and it might be a lethal state of lethargy. My hot button is completely broken.




















Best to go have a nap and let the hot pass.




















I can pick okra in the cool of the evening. The roadside vegetable garden is the last place to go in the shade.




















As the sun went behind the mountain across the byway, I trudged up top in a little less hot.




















It's still dry. The thunderstorms about are way too small and scattered.




















Next year I am wanting these Aromatic Aster to be over the top rail and billowing through the fence.




















This year I am getting a big mess of okra during the hot and dry. I'm on my third side dish.


No comments: