Sunday, December 7, 2008

An Iris Named Clyde

Every once in a while a comment will be posted at my former garden's blog, Tropical Embellishments. This morning one of those lead me to a wonderful site, Zydeco Louisiana Iris Garden , a small mail order iris nursery in Metairie, Louisiana. The owner, Patrick O'Connor had found my post on the Blue Louisiana Iris I just loved and grew on Maui in my own garden and used as a perennial ground cover in client's gardens when I could. He identified my blue iris as 'Clyde Redmond'. How about that, an iris named Clyde.

From Tropical Embellishments
Used with permission of Christopher C. in Hawaii

According to Patrick these Louisiana Iris will grow up north. Even though technically I am in the south, an iris that will grow up north means me. Well of course that means I must have them again.

More important though for all you deep south gardeners, where gardening is more difficult; listen up Austin garden bloggers, Floridians, Charlestonians, even you west coast gardeners who don't get real cold, if I could grow Louisiana Iris in Hawaii beautifully, you can have real iris too.

I mean real in the sense that the flowers are as large and of similar form as the Bearded, Siberian and Dutch iris. The foliage of the Louisiana Iris is the same sword shaped leaf, but in a comparison of iris foliage, if I can do that between Maui and NC, the Louisiana Iris foliage was much more robust and long lasting than some of the wimpy iris foliage I see up here.

So am I going to order some Louisiana Iris from Zydeco Louisiana Iris Garden? Maybe. The black one, 'Black Gamecock' sure is tempting. What I will do is make a call to Maui early next summer and have an iris named Clyde sent to me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher! What a small world this is...an iris named Clyde was with you all those years in Hawaii. I hope you can grow it in your new garden too! :)
It sure is a beauty!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher, you sound more excited about this than you have about anything for quite a while. A blast from the past with a future in the new world. We have tons of the yellow LA iris, I actually throw it out, it spreads so quickly, if you are interested, even in our drought.

Frances

James Golden said...

Iris as a groundcover, eh? I'm interested in that. I got two Black Gamecock plants at the Seargentsville (NJ) farmers' market this past summer. Waiting to see what they do in my wet clay (approaching frozen, right now). I'll check out Clyde.

chuck b. said...

That's a lovely blue and I like the purple blush.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria it does seem appropriate that I should have some of the iris I grew in Maui in my new garden, Ku'ulei 'Aina.

Frances, you think blue and yellow would look good together?

James I would plant the Louisiana Iris in big drifts in front of larger shrubs as opposed to smaller vining, tailing groundcovers or just in big drifts in perennial beds. In Hawaii of course it was evergreen and just needed cleaning after blooming. As Frances said, at a certain point there is so much you start throwing it away.

A very lovely blue, Chuck.

Cindy, MCOK said...

Christopher, I've entertained a passion for Louisiana Iris for several years now although it seems to be waning a bit. Most of mine are blues and purples ... until they bloom, it's hard to tell which one is which after a while because of their growth habit. I have enough that I can share so remind me in the spring and I'll send you some.

Christopher C. NC said...

Cindy that is so nice of you. I am picturing the crease in the bottom of my sunny utility valley where if it rains really really hard water might flow through, filled with boulders and drifts of iris.

This area stays moist for sure and will be the logical pleace for rain garden plants. I already have a curly sedge and a pitcher plant in.

lisa said...

That's cool to have a namesake flower. I bought a daylily named "Lisa My Joy" for the same reason. :)

Anonymous said...

I am a Charlestonian with Louisiana irises - and just love them. But with respect to that ever-lurking plant greed thing, I only have one (one really large clump), and need more for sure! I'll take a look at their site. That's pretty cool that you can do them there (and really nice that you had already grown 'Clyde').