Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cry Me a River

Weather! Weather and more weather! I would hope the drought in WNC has been officially cancelled by now. Nope. Despite the last two months being a bit wetter than normal and slowing cabin construction to a crawl, the official word is still a D2 severe drought.

It has been raining all day and the big rain is still set for tonight. Flash flood rain.



I noticed another small rock slide along the highway in my coming home and subsequent run to the store to fill the larder with food. I also saw another tree that had fallen across the road to be chain sawed up and tossed off the edge. Then I discovered there is basically no phone service, an intermittent horrible buzzing that only allows a connection every so often. All this rain has made it worse. I think the buried cable running a foot off the side of the road has been damaged.



And the dishwasher don't work no more even after I cleaned all the water filters. I don't think that is weather related, just an annoying addition to a cooped up mentality.

The diagnosis for tomorrow is snow. At least I can go outside in the snow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yipes, you sound like the biblical Job! Why my husband wants to live in Florida! (ugh). Hope things improve for you soon!

bev

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This does not sound like a man that just came home from vacation. Of course without phone service I can see how you would feel cut off from the world. Hang in there Chris you will get some outside time soon.

Anonymous said...

Good grief, when it rains it pours! I hope you are warm and dry at the very least. Hand washing dishes can be very good for dirty gardening fingernails I have found too. Now the phone is not good, but someone else will be responsible for the expense and the work to fix it, hopefully. Go have some ice cream and hot chocolate at a very nice place with friendly people to talk to.
Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev, I will take the weather on this mountain any day over living in Florida. Florida has its charms, but it has way way too many people in it now.

Lisa I was hoping I could move ahead on my siding when I got back. Almost two weeks of relaxing even with a few days of vine pulling had me ready to work upon my return.

Lordy Frances. I know it is raining big time on you too. I bought plenty of baked goods and ice cream yesterday thank goodness. This isn't good driving to Asheville weather.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher! So sorry things did not go well today. The dishwasher I can live without, but not the phone. Hope you have a cell phone in case of emergencies. The phone service up there is a little sketchy anyways...sometimes I think I am on a party line. Remember those? Either that, or someone has decided to tap into our phone line. I'm afraid to know what might happen tonight with the "flash flood" rain. I have never seen damage anywhere like I have up there when it rains bad. Not to mention the state of our road. Too bad you can't be working on the inside of your cabin during all this rain. I'm with Frances, ice cream and hot chocolate sounds good to me! :)

Anonymous said...

My gracious, Christopher. I can attest to the fact when it rains real hard or a lot it can cause a lot of damage in the mtns. Some yrs ago it caused 2 major slides in the mtns. I couldn't get across as the road was closed. Imagine 4 in the morning trying to figure out how I was to cross those mtns. Anyway I back tracked & went through Maggie Valley to I40. I was heading West to western Tn. Thankfully no one was hurt--several cars were trapped in between the 2 slides.
Glad you stocked on munchies. Do stay dry & warm. It will get better.

chuck b. said...

That's a lot of weather.

Read any good books lately?

I read the most recent David Sedaris anthology on the plane to/from FL. Fun stuff.

lisa said...

Hang in there, Christopher! I can tell that you are a man accustomed to lots of activity...those rainy days may be a good time to practice some meditation.(Effin' rain, anyhow! ;-)