Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Great Escape

I managed to get all three of the Spots crated up, in the truck and driven down a snowy mountain road this morning to the drop off place, a hair past 8am for the ride to Asheville to be neutered by HAWA. This was the first time I have actually driven on snowy roads in quite some time. They were plowed and sanded and in fine shape. The Spots were pretty good during the drive. I think it was more nerve wracking for me than them.

I was in town so I stopped at Lowes to pick up a few items I needed for putting the siding on the cozy cabin. The credit card I use solely for construction expenditures and pay in full every month was denied. Twice. What is going on? Has CitiBank declared bankruptcy? I know I didn't do anything wrong. Grumble, grumble.

Back home with a fresh pot of coffee brewing, there is a message on the phone. Spot has escaped. The door of her crate popped open. She is in a culvert under the railroad tracks and boxed in at both ends with traps. Could I please come down and coax her out. This is the first and only time they have ever had an animal escape. It has never ever happened before. Well isn't that special.

So I drive back down a snowy mountain road that is getting dryer and less scary to the culvert under the railroad tracks. It only takes a few minutes of me coaxing and Spot comes out of the culvert. Back in the crate she goes and the very kind volunteer of HAWA says she will drive Spot to Asheville herself. The big van of course with the spotlets and I would guess close to fifty cats and dogs left on schedule, minus one Spot.



An escaped Spot and a rejected credit card, that is two bad things. My experience with bad things is that they happen in clusters of three. Be careful driving.

Back home again, a call to Citibank reveals that a new replacement card they sent me was returned and that account was frozen. I guess putting a hold on your mail during an absence doesn't include holding everything. Credit card restored. New card being sent.

Oh good. One Spot caught and crated continues on her journey and this neutering process doesn't have to be turned into two capture and delivery procedures. Credit restored. Bad things fixed.

The phone rings. "This is HAWA in Asheville."

Yess?

"Collar has a mild heart murmur and we wanted to give you your options before we do surgery. You can take her to a vet to have this checked out first if you like. She could possibly grow out of it. The vet here will do the surgery because it is mild. It only slightly increases the risk of a bad outcome."

There's number three. My cat Greyman had a heart murmur and was sixteen and a half when we parted. Go ahead with the surgery. Taking her to another vet is not an option for me.

It was twelve degrees when I woke up this morning and the real cold isn't here yet. There is a smaller chance for more snow in the weather diagnosis for tonight.

I pick up the Spots tomorrow at noon. All should be well. The cluster of three has passed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope all goes well! Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher, that was pretty scary. I completely one hundred percent agree about the rule of three bad things too. It usually isn't that hard to find the third thing either. Poor Spot, she must have been so scared. Thank goodness she trusted you enough to come out of the culvert. The credit card thing is a nuisance, but at least there wasn't something worse wrong about it, like identity theft or something. My first thought would have been about the financial failure of citibank also. I do so hope they are wrong about these cold temperatures they are predicting, we will have some plant losses if it stays that cold for that long. At least everything is pretty much still dormant, as opposed to the Easter freeze of 2007. Stay warm and keep the faucet dripping! :-)
Frances

Anonymous said...

You are due some smooth sailing I should think. ;)
Donna

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks Michelle.

Frances, Yes poor Spot. I hope she won't have abandonment issues. She was sure glad to see me though. Don't forget, leave a faucet running!!!

MNGarden, smooth sailing it will be. I hope. Yes it can be.

Anonymous said...

Christopher, sounds as though your luck ran about like mine. Sure glad you got Spot back ok. She must have been crazy with fear. I sure hope Collar does ok. It's a shame it has this problem.
Credit cards are for the birds or I should say their sponsors. Bad days to have any kind of trouble with any kind of financial institutions.
Wait till they state your are deceased. I know.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher! I hate days like this...so sorry it happened to you today. I know you were probably already worried about the Spot family and the snowy conditions to begin with. Poor Spot must have been terrified! I am sure she will be fine once you get her back home. I'm sure that Collar will be fine too. Stay warm!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am so glad all seems to be in order Christopher. What a day. I think you should get under a cover and read. Don't go out unless you have to until it is time to go get the Spots. Some days are just like that.

chuck b. said...

Citi recently sent me a credit card *offer*. I'm not sure what that means about their confidence, but it makes me question the whole credit panic we've supposedly indebted Frances' grandchildren to... (The funny thing is that Citi just canceled a card that I hadn't used in three years.) I figure I've got, if I'm damn lucky, another 50 or 60 years to go....and I'm outta here!


Instead of holding her mail, the post office in Seattle (Bainbridge Island, actually) sent back all my sister-in-law's mail too. Why, oh why.

Heart murmurs can be very transitory. Sometimes you have them, sometimes you don't. Also, some doctors can hear them, and some cannot. Unless it's something you can see on an EKG, I would not deviate from a course of action because a doctor reports hearing a heart murmur.

That's pretty cool rural animal neutering infrastructure you've got in place. Not the kind of thing I'd expect in North Carolina, to be honest.

the verification word is vancest--having sex with your own van! Disgusting!

bleulily said...

As we recently rescued a stray cat and her two kittens, soon we'll have to start making arrangments to have them all spayed and neutered. I'll have to check out the HAWA since money is a bit tight. I didn't realize they had a program for this. I learn so much from these blogs. It's great!!!. Stay warm and dream of spring.

chuck b. said...

Oh, and bad things in threes--that would be nice. Usually in my life when bad things happen, it usually seems to be by the dozen.

Anonymous said...

Good grief; that was like reading a scary novel! Glad everything turned out ok. Be careful on those roads going back down to get the spot family. I wonder how they will behave when they return - our poor dog was so traumatized it took her days to get back to normal.

bev