Friday, December 17, 2010

Within Petting Distance

Perhaps I goofed off today. Exploring options to securely hang the ceiling fan in the loft led me to town for two wood screws. Really I wanted the Chinese buffet.

With the wood screws I mounted the ceiling fan hanging bracket directly to the studs in the ceiling through the drywall and did not use the metal electric outlet box to hang the fan from. That metal outlet box was a bit sketchy. The fan is halfway done.




















As the day wound down it looked as if something was rolling in.


























On the near horizon a substantial presence was slithering in stealth like. It looks thick and heavy and some great force had to have pushed it up hill from the other side.




















The deep crease of the Pigeon River valley was already full. It's getting close.




















I was concerned about wild kitty during the blizzard. I thought he may have gotten snowed shut inside of a culvert because I had not seen him for the several days of the storm and the low temperatures that went down to four - or was it one - yes I think it was one. Then on Wednesday coming back from town I saw wild kitty a half mile down the scenic byway. Not good. The lack of road shoulders is even worse with three foot high piles of snow along the edge. He recognized me when I drove by. I'd of stopped, but we're not friends yet.

Wild kitty came the half mile home for dinner that night and this evening he was waiting for me and asking where his dinner was. I am within petting distance now. That is some boo boo on his nose, frostbite maybe, but it doesn't look very bad and is getting smaller.


























The Spots meanwhile have learned what a litter box is and know how to use it. I won't be tossing them outside when I head to Florida for Christmas this year. It's way too cold and there are wild things out there. They will have the house to themselves for a week - fingers crossed.


























The presence has arrived. It caresses every nook and cranny, every fiber of my being when I step outside in its embrace. It's thick and heavy, the veritable pea soup of fog. At twenty seven degrees I could get rimed.

3 comments:

Lola said...

I'm glad to hear that Wild Kitty is ok. Cute that the Spots have learned what the box is for.
Oh, that impenetrable fog is to reckon with. It has it's beauty but can be dangerous.
Take care & stay warm.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Aaahhhh wild kitty is a cutie. Could it be going to someone elses house down the road? It looks in such good condition. Your kitties will have a nice vacation inside while you are gone. They will be happy when you return.

Siria said...

Yes, wild kitty sure looks sweet and cute ~ and well fed too! I'm glad your babies will be staying indoors this year.