Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Is The Time To Plant

It is fall.



So I bought a camellia to plant just to watch it die. Maybe. This is one of the cold hardy camellias rated to zone 6 and minus 10 degrees. The coldest it has gotten since I have been here is minus 4. I have minus 6 degrees to spare. I tend to err on the side of gardening in a zone 5b, but I'm a bit of zone pusher apparently. It is the late fall blooming Camellia x 'Winter's Snowman' and at 10 dolla, what the hay, I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.



And lucky me, I noticed many of the pots had two widely separated stems in each pot. Could it be?



Yes there were two plants in the pot so my camellias were only five dolla each.



One went just to the left of the lying down metal arbor a foot down slope. You can see how baby shrubberies are easily lost in the wild at the initial planting. It will take some time for this camellia to gain some presence.



The other went below the retaining wall right behind the terracotta pot. Now I have two chances to succeed and two chances to fail. If I succeed I could have ten foot tall white camellias blooming in November after all the leaves are down and before the snow has a chance to pile up.



No matter what happens I will always have fall and blue asters.



Blue asters with Japanese Maples.



We need to plant more things this fall. The area around the chimney was cleared two seasons ago. The replanting effort has lagged. I was gifted a nice sized Beautyberry, Callicarpa sp., a few weeks ago that was planted by the chimney. There are hosta and iris and no doubt some bulbs fell in the ground. Wildflower seeds have been flung. One sprig of the transplanted dwarf bamboo is still alive. It still needs something though.



It is fall.



A cozy cabin nestles in the forest and a garden gathers momentum around it.



Just keep planting.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It looks like fire is all around the CC. Beautiful. Good luck with the cammillias.

Dianne said...

Love coming to your blog. I always feel better afterward. We are not in full peak over on this side of the mountain. Of course I am a couple thousand feet lower than you as well.

Laurrie said...

Camellias may be nice (if they live) but it's the blue asters that will always be the loveliest all around your low spot.

I like the view of the cabin from above, with fall colors surrounding it. It is starting to look like someone's home.

Siria said...

WOW! The cozy cabin in the midst of fall looks like a postcard! Just gorgeous ~ what beauty surrounds you. Good luck with the camelias. I am sure they will thrive in your garden.

Rebecca said...

Now I'm being very nosy...in (I think) the 6th picture with the terra cotta planter & retaining wall I see railling. Is that behind the cottage? Have I seen it before? (I SAID I'm nosy!)

Keep planting indeed! Whether wild or intentional, the beauty you are nurturing or creating takes my breath away.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes Rebecca that picture is behind the cottage and the railing of the back porch and stairs down to the basement patio can be seen.