Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pre-Fall

I'll take it to mean I am working much more steadily these days and not that I have been unobservant. I am seeing all kinds of colorful and interesting post bloom hydrangeas this year. This is probably another H. paniculata cultivar. The post bloom is a near purple shade of maroon. I must be seeing them before the final frost fade to brown.



The Sourwood trees, Oxydendrum arboreum I notice every year. They turn a brilliant red way before most of the other trees turn. With their white post bloom panicles hanging in great clusters they are a striking sight. I want me one.



Actually the hills are still quite green. As I drive back and forth to work there is little to no color yet. Just a few early turners tucked into the forest.



The trees need to get busy. Another brother is headed our way on the 15th. We want him and his lovely wife to be impressed. I imagine we'll have some blue asters about at the least.

4 comments:

Lola said...

Love those Sour Wood trees. Always so pretty.
They do cause some good honey.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope your brother arrives at the peak of the fall color. A friend of mine was showing off her sourwood tree to us just yesterday. They are beautiful trees, especially at this time of year.

Fairegarden said...

The lone sourwood here is having the best color ever. Usually the leaves fall as they turn crimson, this year they are sticking around on the stems to look like the ones in NC. You do need one of these trees.

xo
F

Laurrie said...

My favorite tree is my little sourwood, a little iffy for zone 5 up here in New England, but it is growing (slowly), it colors spectacularly, and has the prettiest flowers all summer, swarmed by bees. Your photo shows how show-stopping a large sourwood can look. You do need one. I might need one more.