Wednesday, January 1, 2014

No More Rubbish Piles

IN the ridge top garden. I burned up the last two this afternoon. Now all the piles are AROUND the garden. I tell you the forest is messy. It would be nice to think it's all done now. It isn't. Picking up sticks in a forest garden is as regular a chore as mowing the lawn. It never ends.





















I just need to stay on top of it now that two decades of accumulated sticks have been made to disappear.





















I've been scouting out the best places to start new rubbish piles. It can't be avoided. The forest is messy. We can just pile sticks up all season long and come winter when I have more time the fires will be lit. Better three piles of sticks in the garden than the sixteen or so I burned up.





















If the weather cooperates tomorrow I may get started on burning up the half dozen or so rubbish piles in the sunny utility meadow. There's a winter storm coming with snow and bitter cold. Even with a thirty foot wide opening cut through the forest, the forest is still messy. There are piles of sticks every where. I'm hoping I will be satisfied if I can just get rid of all the piles IN the gardens.





















It is my aim to have the wild cultivated gardens looking their best yet next year, even during the peak of the bloom lull. I just hope the weather cooperates.

5 comments:

Lola said...

I'm tired just reading what you have done. I like the new garden area. It is a job to keep the forest as clean as possible.

Barry said...

Happy New Year, Chris, and
Ha`oli makahiki Hou [Five years of personal serious study of the language/culture/history and all I want to show for it can be printed on a T-shirt]. I have pulled up some good-sized brush piles here, but the air people are fidgeting about the smoke that might blow to parts east of us, so I'm watching Weatherspark for hints of wind or even bit of rain, so I can lay flame, too. Your winter tidy kind work is impressive! 2 decades of woody stuff won't happen again on your watch. Maybe you could create a keyhole bed, with the huglkulture way of letting the pile of dead branches and twigs and da kine turn into black gold?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola burning up the rubbish piles is only part of what i have been up to. I was a bit wore out last night.

Ha`oli makahiki Hou Barry. That huglkultur looks like way to much work. My mom's working theory has been to pile it up, let it rot and plant in some nice compost. The problem with that is 50% of the wood is black locust and it does not decompose in a human time scale. Up here everyone burns stuff. It's very casual. They only post fire bans when the weather conditions are dry and windy. My burn spots will make fine biochar.

Gaia Gardener: said...

Brush piles can be great habitat for wrens, mockingbirds, and other great garden inhabitants. Maybe you can pick an out-of-the-way place or two to build a couple more permanent constructions - perhaps with a vine or two growing over them during the growing season?

Christopher C. NC said...

Not to worry Gaia Gardener. I can get rid of every brush pile inside the garden boundaries and there will still be dozens of brush piles surrounding the entire perimeter of the wild cultivated gardens. The forest is messy. A lot of sticks and branches get tossed into piles just outside the gardens.