Friday, July 18, 2014

Abundance

It has rained all day long. I did some laundry and scraped up a layer of dirt inside the house, otherwise it was my first day off and of rest since I don't know when. It might rain all day tomorrow.

Yesterday evening I ambled through the wild cultivated gardens and took tons of pictures of the current floral abundance, then was too tired to do a post. Lucky, I have all these pictures for a rainy day.

Lychnis and liatris by my front porch.



























The great drifts of Gooseneck Loosestrife.





















One gardener has spent twenty five years planting things in the sunny utility meadow and hoping for the best. Then along came a maintenance gardener who has spent three good years uncovering what had been planted with some select editing. The desired results are now beginning to show up to much better effect.



























The Beebalm is spreading once more.





















A floriferous meadow is emerging from a tangled mat of vines.





















Plants rise unencumbered.





















In the shade of the ridgetop garden the battle for some semblance of control is less combative.





















And I do mean a semblance of control. The shade only changes who tries to take over.





















It's a big sunny utility meadow. There is a lot of ground to edit.





















That's why the roadside vegetable garden mulched with wood chips and surrounded by wild flowers is such an easy garden to tend by comparison.





















I love this combo of self sown echinacea, marjoram turned feral and wild filler wands of grass. I had nothing to do with it.



























The red daylilies are turning off while the yellow ones have just turned on.





















I have let some of the weeds in the vegetable garden do their thing undisturbed.





















The front roadside bed after the chicory has closed for the day. I've been letting the Blue Wood Aster remain in this bed for the fall bloom and to continue the theme of blue and grass for the whole season.





















Tripping with dill.





















It's all wet now, but that's what it takes to have all the abundance out there.

3 comments:

Lola said...

It looks wonderful. Rain is good for all.

Unknown said...

A fabulous gallery of photos....many suitable for framing.... Would you ever market them? If so, put me on your list as a buyer!

Christopher C. NC said...

Dana this stockpile of photos may be put to use one day to supplement my meager gubmint check when I retire. I can frame them and sell them at The Roadside Possum Stand - Mountain Medicinals and Curios. The sisters are excited about making crafts to sell when they start coming up here for longer stays when they retire.