Monday, July 14, 2014

Around The Vegetable Patch

Ok, this is by my front steps, but that is where I started when I headed out to pick myself a big salad for supper.





















All this floral abundance is directly around the roadside vegetable garden. I didn't have to take any long hikes to get all these pictures when I went to fetch my supper.





















The scenic along the byway.





















The top of my driveway.





















In the vegetable garden.





















I was cutting down some way too big tarragon at work today in another vegetable garden. The whole garden was choke with white fly. I've seen them spraying in there a couple of times. I didn't ask about it.

I never spray. I have no white fly. If I do there are not enough of them to notice. What I have noticed in all my years in this line of work is that the people who spray the most to get rid of bugs have the worst problems with out of control infestations of things.

Using pesticides, particularly as a preventative measure throws the natural system out of balance and causes more problems than it solves.

I have dill with Uncle Ernie.





















And a vegetable garden surrounded with flowers and the wild things.





















It's the prettiest grocery store on the mountain.


5 comments:

Sallysmom said...

Will you have corn this year or have you given up on it?

Christopher C. NC said...

No sweet corn Sallysmom. I gave up. Avoidance is another strategy for a pest free garden. Won't grow anything in the cabbage family like broccoli, kale, cauliflower because they always get attacked by caterpillars.

Dianne said...

I have an almost totally organic garden this year. Almost because of the cabbage/worms. I think I will do as you do next year...no cabbage family. All other veggies ...horse/cow manure and nothing else. I have the best garden I have ever had on my mountain. You have had a pretty huge influence on my choices. I just wish my flowers would follow the pattern. My sweet corn has no worms; first time ever!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Beautiful garden. It is good that you don't use pesticides. I don't either. I figure there is enough to go around.

Lola said...

Your garden is pretty. I don't use pesticides either. Like natures way better. Neighbor to East uses enough chemicals.