Sunday, July 5, 2015

Some Settling Of Contents

The Great Lawn is sinking.

The rain held off long enough today for me to whack all the paths in my part of the garden and the sunny utility meadow. The garden is ready for visitors.





















It will be Lush. In just two months this is what the barren ground becomes.





















The vegetation is already shoulder high. The snake in the grass is well hidden from most vantage points now.



























The Great Lawn has never been a sports quality surface, much less a flat and level lawn. It has always been on the undulating side. It has been perfectly suitable for me and all the other varmints that wander through.





















I noticed today while mowing that quite a bit of settling is happening. There are many more small depressions. I'm not surprised. I did nothing to it except whack down what was there. The ground was not touched. It exists in what was a small stream bed at one time. On a geologic scale my house sits on what I think are the remnants of an old alluvial deposit from once much higher mountains. The Great Lawn is sitting in an erosional valley of that.

I have pulled quite a few rocks out of it for my various projects. More are rising to the surface. There are plenty more below that I can't see. Time no doubt deposited a lot of organic matter. That is decomposing. Between decomposition and filling in between the rocks, some settling of contents is happening.

My hope is the freeze thaw cycles will smooth it out. My fear is I will have to drag sand down there and fill in the holes if it gets too bad.





















I don't need to worry about that now though. Today I have the very last of the azaleas in bloom. It has a powerful scent.





















Liatris throughout the garden are coming into bloom.





















The weed flowers are gaining momentum.





















No one will notice the settling of contents except me. There are too many other distractions in the wild cultivated gardens.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Liatris is beautiful. Will it grow in partial shade? Your Gooseneck Loosestrife is impressive, too. You are our gardening guru. :-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Lovely distractions.

Lola said...

Some of that going around here. Never saw earth move before. Regardless it all looks good.

Christopher C. NC said...

The liatris needs full sun Dana.

Lovely indeed Lisa.

Lola I sure don't think you want to see any soil settling near you. Not in Florida, the land of sinkoles.