Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Begin Summer

The wildflower surround of the roadside vegetable garden is ready to explode on the first day of summer.





















I wish I could say the same about the vegetable garden itself. Oh woe is me, the damn sprouting seed eating bugs have been a real challenge this year along with the scratch and peck turkeys and the hole digger. The vegetable garden is off to a very late start.

Pestilence of all kinds has been very annoying this year. It seems every garden I tend has bunnies. Some have groundhogs. Turkeys are scratching the peck out of things all over the place. Diggers and bulb eaters abound. I blame it on the mild winter.

On the first day of summer at least the roadside vegetable garden is fully planted and growth has commenced.





















One of the Yucca filamentosa has three bloom spikes. I even found two seedling yuccas. So far they are not variegated.





















This kind of bloom is about to spread across the meadows as the daylilies and wildflowers start their summer. I wish the vegetable garden was this easy.





















In shadier places, the Asclepias exaltata, Poke Milkweed, is in bloom. I have never seen monarch caterpillars on these. I don't think they live or breed up here at all.



























The low rays of the evening sun catch the rising head of Rattlesnake Master, Eryngium yuccifolium.





















Joe Pye grows. Late summer is its bloom time.


No comments: