Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Wild Cultivated Gardens Wake Up

I went to a native plant sale at the Corneille Bryan Native Garden in Lake Junaluska and bought some Fairy Bells, Disporum lanuginosum.




















They have some good stuff that I don't have.




















I have plenty room to test things out and see if they want to grow here. It certainly doesn't hurt to add to the semi-wild populations of native plants. My garden is a safe harbor for wild things.




















Fairy Bells, Disporum lanuginosum
Yellowroot, Xanthorhiza simplicissima
Downy Skullcap, Scutellaria incana
Goldenseal, Hydrastis canadensis
Jacob's Ladder, Polemonium reptans

Everything I planted from this sale last year has come back. Like most things I plant, natives appreciate a nice skylight and some elbow room when they are settling in and growing to competition size. That takes a few seasons. And like everything else, it helps if I remember where I planted them.




















It is time to say goodbye. I am going to miss the Under Garden. It makes spring a little bittersweet.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your native finds look healthy. I hope they all do well. I am incorporating more and more natives into my garden. The ones that like moisture haven't done well. I planted some Culver's Root this weekend. I hope it takes. We will see. I can see why you will miss your under garden.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I have wet and dry, sun and shade. I read up on the natives first to see what they prefer and try to pick a good home based on that. I grew Culver's Root from seed and planted them all over the place. This will be spring #2 for them, but it is slow growing for them.

Jan O said...

Thank you for being a safe harbor for wild things, and for the introduction to the Corneille Bryan Native Garden. I am looking forward to visiting there before too long, maybe next spring I hope.